mondeo tdgi engine knock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there new to forum got a 07 tdci 90ps mondeo with 106000 motorway miles and has started to knock from the engine gets loader when you turn steering or put on heated screen took it to local garage who changed the injectors then it was fine for2 days now it is worse it doesnt realy do it on tick over it starts between 1000 and 2000 revs got told it could be botom pulley has had belt tensioner done could it be bottom pulley or summit else all advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
By all means check the bottom pulley to see if its tight.
However, if you release and remove the auxiliary belt, by taking the load off the new tensioner and start the engine, you'll tell if it is the engine or the ancilliary components that the belt drives thats making the racket. Check all the pulleys for movement, especially the PAS pump and the alternator.
With the belt back on, start the engine. The belt should rotate really smoothly without jumping about.
John :)

Do as above and hopefully you will find the fault.

If not, it may be the dual mass flywheel has broken up. Usually gives the impression that the engine is missing? Hopefully I'm wrong, but just keep it in mind. Its in behind the clutch.

Please let us know what cures the problem.

Sponsored Links
i dont think it is the clutch side as it sounds pulleyside and my next question is the best way to remove the drive belt as i canot get in to it

If its like the Transit Tdci, (and I do say if) locate the new tensioner, which is spring loaded.
There will be one bolt in the centre - leave that alone.
On the tensioner body there is a 3/8" square hole, that you can fit a short socket extension into. Turning this releases the tension from the belt.
Hope this helps - but I haven't done a Mondeo so hopefully someone brighter will come along.

thanks john thers is a square hole in the tensinor but unfortunally theres is not enough space to fit anything in as you can just sqeeze ya fingers in hopefully some one mite know of a way to do it or if theres a special tool to do it.
Thanks Gary :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe a length of 3/8" steel bar, bent at 90 degrees....leaving one end short (to enter the tensioner) and one end long (for a handle) would work - I don't know.
It wouldn't be the first time I've had to remove an engine mount and jack the engine up by the sump to get in.....
However, you've had a new tensioner fitted, so why not ask the guys who did it how they got in?
Be lucky!

the new tensioner was done by ford unfortnatly but i will try the piecs of bar will keep you posted
Thanks Gary :rolleyes:

Or a little piece of 25x6mm flat welded to the 3/8 square, if room is at a premium.

thanx you have about 3/4 of inch to get in it a nightmare will do my best thanx everyone

Sponsored Links
Back