Monitor Problems - Windows 8??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have recently bought new PCs for our office but retain the monitors we had which are about 2years old. I can't remember if it happened straight after the switch, but it was certainly very soon after if not, but I've got a problem with the monitor.

When the monitor switches off (goes into 'standby'), either because the PC has been shutdown, or because I've left if for a while, I have problems getting the monitor to come back on. I boot up the PC, or 'wake it up' and the screen comes on, but only stays on for a few seconds and then goes black again (LED goes from blue to orange). I have to turn it off and back on again any number of times from around 5 to 20 before it eventually comes on and stays on. It then works completely fine until the next time it goes into standby mode and then the same happens.

Not sure if this is down to software, pc hardware or the monitor itself. Instinct tells me its the monitor, but seems odd that once I get it to stay on, its fine and also that it started when I swapped PC - but I guess that could be coincidence...

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
First port of call, I would swap a couple of other monitors in (If available) to see what happens. I've found that monitor faults can be fairly random in the way they exhibit faults. Otherwise they can be a bit picky with regards to refresh rate etc, so that's something else to play with.

On one of the machines which is playing up, go to Control Panel Power Options and set Switch Display off to Never. (for both plugged in and on batteries settings). See if the monitor stays on.

edit - Is it just the monitor switching off, or is the PC going to sleep? If the latter, then there are any number of reports about PCs not waking up correctly. On desktop machines I invariably disable sleep and hibernation modes.

Sponsored Links
Back