more garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a supply from my garage running underground to the shed. The cable is a 3 core 2.5mm twin and earth flat pvc run in a plastic conduit. Supply is from the consumer unit direct from it's own 16A RCBO

The cable needs to be replaced. Is it okay to just renew this cable like for like or should it now be an armoured cable or artic?

Sponsored Links
how long is the cable run? what do you currently use, and expect to use in the future?

rockingrodders said:
The cable needs to be replaced. Is it okay to just renew this cable like for like or should it now be an armoured cable or artic?
dont use arctic. if you do, your kid will be digging in the garden one day and put the spade theu the cable and possibly die. want that to happen?

the cable is 15m long and it supplies a double socket used for mower and tools and a shed light.

the intention is to run the cable in the existing conduit, so does this still rule out artic?

Sponsored Links
Whether you use T/E, SWA, arctic, conduit or bell wire, it should be deep enough not to be disturbed by any likely digging. This is generally take to mean 450mm where no digging takes place, but up to 700mm under flower beds, vegetable plots etc.

7.22b.gif

And don't forget the warning tape above the cable, a little below the surface (not shown in the diagram).

Given all that, why mess about not using SWA?

16A CB is fine. i would personally only ever use SWA outdoors (safety). get 3core 2.5mm2 SWA. this will easily take the current you want to use, and satisfy volt drop. it's about 1.5cm diameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back