More uPVC door hinges!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a 'new' place and would like to swap the back door with a different one in the house (that will eventually be replaced for bifold/sliding doors).

Sizes are the same - however, I'm not sure how you undo these hinges to effect a door swap!?
The screws seem to be behind the hinge and the long screw that runs down from the top, doesn't have an alan key hole or anything like that.
Any ideas?

Taking the tiles away and a bit of mess is ok. Will be stripping the tiles and patching/reskimming anyway.

Sponsored Links
I am not quite sure if you want to remove the door and its frame or just the door? If it is both you do not have to remove door from the hinges just open it and unscrew the frame. If you have another identical door sash to swap over the long pins that drop down the hinge knuckle will need to be knocked up and out. Often there is vertical and lateral adjustment on the hinges. This is carried out by an allen key placed in the bottom end of the pin. The pin may not be straight but camed thus a 180 deg turn throws the door in or out a couple of mm. Continuous turning of the pin unscrews it so it can be removed. If there is no adjustment the pin is simply knocked up and out with a centre punch or similar from below. Sometimes they are hard to knock out if the door is not perfectly fitted and the three hinges are not exactly in line. Also for the same alignment reasons the last pin can be a bugger to knock up.
Check there is no allen screw in the side of the knuckle locking the hinge pins in place.

I am not quite sure if you want to remove the door and its frame or just the door?
If there is no adjustment the pin is simply knocked up and out with a centre punch or similar from below. Sometimes they are hard to knock out if the door is not perfectly fitted and the three hinges are not exactly in line. Also for the same alignment reasons the last pin can be a b*****r to knock up.
Check there is no allen screw in the side of the knuckle locking the hinge pins in place.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Prob worth explaining what I was looking at doing.

Donor door

Receiving door

Ultimately am replacing the donor door and window, and knocking out the half height wall and replacing with bifold/sliding doors across the opening.
The back door is a bit ropy, so wanted to recycle the door that was being removed.

Plan A was to just remove the donor door from inside its frame. Originally had thought this was easier.
I had thought moving the frame as well was not possible, as the donor door was a different moulding. However, looking closer, with the joining strip, looks just a normal frame and window to the side? So probably do-able.
Measured more closely, the sizes seem to be about 4-5 mm different, where the donor door is the fractionally larger.

It also looks like there are small allen keys in the side of the donor door hinges - but I can't see them in the receiving door frame. So not sure if they're on the hidden side, but would need releasing first, if I was to knock out the pins, as you suggest.
Also with the slight size difference in doors, might be easier to move the whole frame too.
Might start digging around the receiving door frame to see how much space there is to accommodate a slightly bigger frame. Also will try to take off the joining uPVC strip to see if they can be separated.

Don't even attemp to swap the doors sashes if they are different extrusion and not identical in size. uPvc doors are critical on sizes for clearence and lock opperation. And the two doors you show are opposite handings, so the hinges will be on the wrong side. Either replace the frame and door sashes completely or find another door.
Sorry.

Sponsored Links
steve - thanks for the help.
Would rather hear it's a no-no now, than embark on a disaster :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back