Mortar mix for re-laying patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Need to re-lay some of my patio flags as they are loose and are rocking. I am going to buy some building sand and cement today but was just wondering what the mix is I need. I have seen various ratios from 3:1 upto 6:1. What is the best mix for re-bedding slabs and also for pointing - is it the same?

Going to rake out the existing pointing as 50% is loose / missing and repoint the whole lot. Current pointing is a grey colour, guessing I need some sort of colour additive.

TIA

Sponsored Links
i use 5:1 for both laying flags and pointing but expect 6:1 would also be fine (but on the limit ie don't go towards 7:1)

the higher the cement the stronger it is and the more prone to cracking. 3:1 has specific applications only bedding lintels etc

there is a spot on website for outside work that well worth a visit

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

for the pointing use an old washing up liquid bottle to soak the surrounding mortar and bricks with water before pointing (stops cement cure problems by too much water being sucked out of the mortar). ie having raked out old mortar and about 5/10min before starting to repoint.

grey i expect will be achieved with a std cement - only way is to make up a little to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back