Mortar Mix for Salt Glazed Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Under very high rainfall, we have a problem with water getting into our basement. As the house built on a slope, the front of the house is two storeys, whilst the back is three (with access to the basement). The leak occurs through the cavity wall at the back of the house which is not surounded by any earth.

Anyway, I think I have tracked the problem - outside the house near where the leak always occurs is a drain which takes water from the kitchen sink (and dishwasher) and roof. After digging today, I have discovered that the pipe is an old salt glazed pipe. Where the pipe meets the drain U bend, there is some mortar missing around the collar. The water slowly drips under normal conditions but when more water is added via the sink, it leaks quite substantially.

As there is no crack in the pipe, I intend to repair the missing mortar around the collar but was wanting to check:

1. What is the correct mortar mix to use and is it simply a case of pushing the mortar back into the collar where it is missing?

2. Is there are more suitable fix e.g. some sort of silicon sealant?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
a cement rich rinsed sand or plasterers sand will do the trick. it takes longer to set but sets rock hard and works best under damp or wet conditions. 3:1 minimum.

you must avoid using the drain for many hours though, until set, as it will not tolerate running water.

alternatively you could modernise the drain using plastic fittings.

salt glaze is very shiny, mortar will try to fall off. when I had one like that I primed the surfaces with a waterproof Unibond slurry, think it was mixed with sand and cement but it stuck like glue. Once that was set I packed in the repair mix (sand and cement and water guaged with Waterproof Unibond (in the "black lid" ) with my fingers.

I probably found the instructions on the Unibond tin or factsheet.

There should be a tarred rope in the joint,
This forms the seal, however it is difficult to see if it is still intact without removing the pipes, which you cannot do.
Just flaunch as described above or fill in the space between the male and female pipes with grip fill or similar flexible waterproof filler.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the help guys, will have a go at sorting it this weekend!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back