Mortar repairs to back addition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a back addition and the tiles between the main roof and this back addition are joined by mortar filling. This has become damaged with time and so water is leaking through the mortar.

Roofer recommends that this mortar is repaired but obviously this will have limited life time. Any thing better to join the main roof to the back addition? Flashings?

How long would mortar repair last?

Sponsored Links
I think that i can visualise what you are saying but to give you best advice could you post a few pics?

Typically, any mortar fillet at the junction of two differently pitched roofs (if thats indeed the case) should be replaced by lead flashing.

I think that i can visualise what you are saying but to give you best advice could you post a few pics?

Typically, any mortar fillet at the junction of two differently pitched roofs (if thats indeed the case) should be replaced by lead flashing.

yes, the junction of main roof and back roof are filled with mortar which has degraded with time and leaking. The roofer has recommended that the mortar be repaired.

I could ask you ten pertinent questions off the top of my head but only pics will give me an accurate picture to usefully advise you.

eg. the S&C fillet could have been leaking from day one, and fooling around on your roofs "repairing" it, could cause even more damage.

Sponsored Links
I could ask you ten pertinent questions off the top of my head but only pics will give me an accurate picture to usefully advise you.

eg. the S&C fillet could have been leaking from day one, and fooling around on your roofs "repairing" it, could cause even more damage.

if the damaged mortar is repaired, how long do new mortar tend to last?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back