Mosaic tiles - problems!

Reaction score
Country
France
I am determined to stick a row of mosaic tiles round my shower area as a border between rows of ceramic tiles. I have several problems.
1. The ceramic tiles are 9mm thick and the mosaic tiles are 8mm thick so, even if I put more adhesive on the back, all that happens is that more of it squeezes out through the mesh and it still sits 1mm, maybe more, back from the other ceramic tiles.
2. The tile adhesive squishes through the mosaic. It's white, and my grout will eventually be white, so I don't know if this is too much of a problem in the end, but should I try and stop it squishing through?
I'm bothered that if I scrape the excess adhesive out from where it's squished through the backing, there will ultimately be even less adhesive behind so not only will it be even more obvious that the tiles aren't the same thickness, but it might not stick as well.
I have some spare mosaic, so what I'm in the process of trying is sticking the mosaic to a thin plastic flexible mat (I have sanded it so it isn't a smooth surface), I'm leaving it to dry then I was going to try sticking this to the wall, on the assumption that I would get less adhesive coming through ( I think this was wishful thinking though) and also that 2 lots of adhesive might make up the 1mm difference.
Is this going to fail completely? My neighbour said that a mosaic border wouldn't work as I'd never get the tiles straight and I really don't want him to say "told you so!" So any advice at all (not too technical please) would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you've left the gap for the mosaic, spread the adhesive in, press the mosaic in to the adhesive so that it is still protruding very slightly, then dab a rubber grout float over both the tiles and the mosaic to achieve the same level.

One of the joys about mosaics is that it almost inevitable that you're going to get some adhesive spill through if you have to lay a thick bed. Just wipe them over with a damp cloth to take some of the adhesive back so you have enough room for grout, or gently brush the joints with a nail brush to take most of it out. A bit of adhesive halfway up the joint won't really matter, as long as it doesn't sit too proud and you can give yourself a uniform grouted finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul C. I haven't left a gap at the mo - I'm just up to where I want the mosaics to go, so I will carry on with the next layer and fill the mosaic in last. I am assuming I will need to put a baton in temporarily so my next layer has something to sit on until it sets? This next layer will need drilling for the wall jets, so I suppose that would make it easier to get the right measurements as well. I am almost wishing I had never started this, but it will look fab when it's finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back