Mother In Law Shower Upgrade Concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently visited my mother in law who has just had a new bathroom fitted. This included a new shower, a Galaxy Aqua 3000 (8.5kw). This takes about 35.5 amps. The original shower was an ancient Triton, probably about 6kw. As far as I can see, the original cable and DP switch have not been changed and the set up is as follows:
Circuit fed from separate switchfuse box with 45A fuse, 6mm cable approx 5m up interior wall surface in plastic conduit, 7m across loft floor via 45A DP pullcord switch, then 1m drop behind false wall into shower unit (say 13m run in total).
The installation instructions call for a min 40A fuse and a 40A DP switch. No mention of any RCD requirement though. There is no RCD fitted on this circuit and none in the house (CU is an old Wylex with cartridge fuses, which has been fitted with plug in MCB’s.)
The bathroom fitter sub contracted the shower wiring and the installation of a heated towel rail and I have no idea what his qualifications were.
What concerns me is:
1) is the cable adequate or should he he have upgraded it to 10mm? It is not getting warm after use and no signs of overloading at the DP switch.
2) Should he have fitted, or at least recommended fitting, an inline RCD to this circuit? If this is not a requirement, is it not now standard practice on shower circuits?
3) There is no cross bonding visible anywhere in the bathroom, certainly not to the basin or bath. This would not have been present in the original bathroom, but should the electrician not have pointed this out and made it clear that it needed to be added, even if his brief was only to do the electrical connection to the shower and towel rail?

Sponsored Links
Did the "Electrician" who carried out the work leave any test cirts ? This work would have been under the part P regs and need to be notified.

TBH, mate, I would be concerned you're upgrading a shower for your mother-in-law.

Give her a bucket and a sponge and tell her to be grateful!

6mm² in trunking or conduit has max capacity of 38A from memory. And having it in contact with >500mm of insulation would halve the current carrying capacity (to 23A), so I would say there is grounds for upgrading the cable. If the supplementary has not been done, that is wrong. Is there MEB's up to current standards?

If I do installation work in a bathroom, I always do SEB at the same time.

The shower instructions will probably recommend RCD protection too.

As for the "old" Wylex board, what colour is it? Does the main switch have a rating in amps?

Some one way Wylex boards should not carry any circuits > 30A.

If the board is inadequate, proably so are the tails. Can you post some pictures?

Sponsored Links
My only visualisation...

grooming.jpg

... it's way too early for this!

Thanks for the various replies...and the MIL jokes, I really should have seen that coming...(BTW ban, neither of your blonde ladies resemble my mother in law, sadly).
In reply to the various points raised:
Main fuse and board are 100A.
The shower fitting instructions (Galaxy Aqua) make no reference to an RCD being required or recommended.
No certification was issued (what a surprise).
On further inspection, I also noticed that the cable entry is visible from the lower right side of the shower unit. He's knocked a hole in the wall for the cable and hasn't bothered to water-seal it.
I'll get someone qualified in to check the whole install for her, sort out the bonding and fit an RCD.
I'm not qualified to do this work but I don't think I could have done it as sloppily as this guy.

BTW ban, neither of your blonde ladies resemble my mother in law, sadly.
Actually, IRL that's probably for the best..... ;)

Does the young one resemble your wife, or had you better not answer that in case she stumbles across this? :D

Macman

I suggest you speak to the bathroom fitter and get him to sort it out at his expense before you get another sparky in. After all your MIL employed the guy to carry out the work and it should be done properly and in accordance with electrical and building regs.

However, I think she probably paid cash for the work and never received an invoice? Just a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back