motoring cost

Sponsored Links
My 2- Ford E series 5.4 L V- 8 Engine averages just slightly less then 4 MPG

My GMC 3500 series NO pick up at all but it does get 8 -10 MPH

CHEAP gas for the above

My Car 18 MPG @ 80 MPH AC on high 93 Octane

Slightly less when hitting 150+ MPH

My car only does 18 mpg, but then again it only cost me £150 to buy it. So, fuel costs don't really matter. Plus I get to travel in comfort. A car this size would cost a minimum of 20 grand new. As its lived in a garage all of its 22 year life, its like new anyway.
Get yourself a tidy old car, and don't worry about fuel costs!
I am absolutely with you on this. See an old post of mine: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14822

I wrote that back in 2004, and more-or-less still have the same opinion. I've been swayed slightly by the fact that I have a little more disposable income now than I did then, and do a lot more (business-dependant) mileage, so reliability is more critical now, and as such I spent just under £2000 on my current car, a V-plate Honda Accord (with FSH and original invoice for £21800!). But my last one was a £300 Rover 600, and served me very well. I still don't understand these people who buy new cars for £15-£35k+.... :)

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I get about 30-32mpg, dropping to about 20-25 if driven hard.

Sponsored Links

My car only does 18 mpg, but then again it only cost me £150 to buy it. So, fuel costs don't really matter. Plus I get to travel in comfort. A car this size would cost a minimum of 20 grand new. As its lived in a garage all of its 22 year life, its like new anyway.
Get yourself a tidy old car, and don't worry about fuel costs!
I am absolutely with you on this. See an old post of mine: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14822

I wrote that back in 2004, and more-or-less still have the same opinion. I've been swayed slightly by the fact that I have a little more disposable income now than I did then, and do a lot more (business-dependant) mileage, so reliability is more critical now, and as such I spent just under £2000 on my current car, a V-plate Honda Accord (with FSH and original invoice for £21800!). But my last one was a £300 Rover 600, and served me very well. I still don't understand these people who buy new cars for £15-£35k+.... :)

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I get about 30-32mpg, dropping to about 20-25 if driven hard.

i only ever buy old cars. better spec and i like the look of them better too. my current steed cost £38k new, i bought it for £1k :LOL: ok i have the luxury of not needing anything particularly reliable just now and mpg doesnt really bother me either....just as well seeing as its a 4 litre :LOL:

2scoops0406";p="952570 said:
I still don't understand these people who buy new cars for £15-£35k+.... :)

That's 'cos they don't have to pay £15-35k for their insurance !! .......... oooooooh, b i t c h y![/quote

Actually my insurance exceeds $57,000 per year

My newest toy is the Subaru Legacy Turbo Boxer engine 160 MPH top speed Unless you tip the parts manager and they install a chip to increase HP by 15% and a little tune up on the transmission to handle the extra torque Around $31,000 It is amazing in the snow

Sylvan - Subaru Legacy Turbo Boxer - Does that have plastic or metal chassis??

;)

;)

Depends on which year it is, went from Mg Alloy to Plastic in the matter of a few months.

Mind you the interior has always been built from old margarine tubs!!

Is anybody out there?? H E L o oooooo!
:D

;)

Possibly fiberglass. I normally buy a new car every two or three years of 30,000 miles which ever comes first as I feel I get a great trade in and don't have to worry about problems occuring.

Seems these cars had a reputation for rusting out

Is anybody out there?? H E L o oooooo!
:D

Actually I must say the Subaru's sure do a lot better in the rain or snow then the top of the line Mercedes.

Even the 190 2.3 16 V I bought in 1987 although quite fast for a 4 cylinder the pick up was not as fast as the Turbo Subaru

The Mercedes cost me $43,000 in 1987 the 2005 Subaru cost just under $32,000 plus the taxes were lower as no luxery tax etc.

The Forrester was great for no heat calls in the dead of winter when the rear wheel vans could not make up the hills.

The boxer engine is amazing 250 HP VS Mercedes 168 HP BUT the Mercedes did get over 34 MPG .

The all wheel drive automatic turbo is not the greatest if one worries about fuel as you need 93 octaine to get the performance out of these toys

Try looking WRX 350 HP

Sponsored Links
Back