motorised valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi THERE, i HAVE AN IMERSION BOILER AND ONE OF THE MOTORISED VALVES KEEP STICKING. I HAVE BEEN ALRIGHT WITH UNSTICKING IT EVERY NOW AND AGAIN BUT I JUST WANT TO GET IT CHENGED ONCE AND FOR ALL.

I HAVE 2 VALVES, 1 IS THE PLASTIC COVER DRAYTON COVER ONE AND THE SECOND IS A METAL LOOKING 1 AND DONT KNOW WHY THERE IS A SECOND?

AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE MOTORISED VALVE? OR CAN I JUST CHANGE THE ACTUATOR?

Sponsored Links
Hi THERE, i HAVE AN IMERSION BOILER
Are you sure? An immersion is an electric element fitted to a hot water cylinder where it is 'immersed' in the water to heat it and supply hot water to your taps. A boiler is usually heated by gas, oil or solid fuel and used to heat radiators as well as provide hot water.

I HAVE 2 VALVES, 1 IS THE PLASTIC COVER DRAYTON COVER ONE AND THE SECOND IS A METAL LOOKING 1 AND DONT KNOW WHY THERE IS A SECOND?
If they are two port valves, one will be to control the central heating and the other will control the hot water. It's known as a 'S' plan.

AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE MOTORISED VALVE? OR CAN I JUST CHANGE THE ACTUATOR?
You can change the actuator for the Drayton see here and for the other (the metal looking one) if it is a Honeywell see here

For future reference, when you post again it's best not to use capitals as this is perceived as SHOUTING!!

thanks for that, things seem a little more clearer now. But i never see any movement from the second valve (silver one). Only from the white valve. when the heating/wter comes on!!

Also is it possible i can get step by step instructions how to change the actuator? Or should I just change the whole valve with the pipe? which will mean having to drain the system?

The actuators are quite easy to change they are normally secured by a couple of screws and then just lift off. You may have to move the manual lever as you do this.

If you change the whole valve, unless there are isolation valves in the pipe on both sides of it, you will have to drain down.

I can never understand why it's common to fit isolation valves to both sides of a pump to allow it to be changed changed without draining, but motorised valves which don't seem to last as long as a pump don't usually have them....but that's another topic..

You worry me slightly now you say that one valve moves with the water and the heating and the other valve doesn't move at all. Are both of the valves 2 port?

or 3 port?

Sponsored Links
yes they are both 2 port. I always only see the one to the left move when it is turned on, the swith on the silver box on the right does not move but seems to vibrate as if it is on??

does the pipe get hot on bothsides of the valve ?
when the valve is open the lever on the end will have no resistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back