Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I recently got installed a walk in shower (its been like a year).

There is huge amounts or mould on the silicone inside the shower in different parts. Have used cilit bang mould remover and it doesn’t help at all.

how come this has happened? Is it best to remove that silicone and then install a better silicone mould proof one?

Sponsored Links
Damp, humid conditions and a lot of soap contains food for mould to grow. Ventilation as per JohnD.
How would I prevent this though? Bathroom window is always open and the walk in shower is used on a regular basis with different shampoos etc being used!

Sponsored Links
Cold surface on walls and ceiling.
Not much you can do without insulation on walls and ceiling. Warmer surfaces will dry out quickly stopping mould.

Tell us how you ventilate it.

Although you have not answered this question, I get the impression you have a window (of unknown size) open (an unknown amount) at some (unknown) distance from the shower enclosure. Depending on wind direction, steam will blow out, or into the house, or not at all. We do not know if there is airflow through the room from two opposite points. We surmise that the open window will lose heat so the fabric of the room will not be very warm.

Mechanical ventilation is very important in a room where you frequently deliver hot water and steam.

Crap quality silicone is a prime candidate, that and if it's left wet. Even then there isn't a magic solution, mould is a fact of life when it comes to showers unless it is left dry every time .... that or if it's black and then you cant see it ;)

Madrah is correct, whoever did the shower installation used the wrong silicone, probably because it was cheap. The only silicone I have experience of which is guranteed anti-mould is "Forever White" by Everbuild. You will have to remove the silicone which is attracting the mould completely before replacing it with Forever White. I believe that Dow Corning do a similar product but cannot cite it without investigation.

It is harder to keep dry than to dry out once wet. So aim one is to stop items getting wet to start with, and to do that you need not to the circulation of damp air while the shower is running.

The main thing is the chimney effect of the shower cubical, and sighting the extractor fan so it pulls the damp air out of the confines of the cubical.

Unless the fan is above the shower, it should not run at same time as shower.

Also replacement air must be dry, to have dry air it needs to be cool, this house I see humidity at around 50% but last house more like 70% so air into shower here is dryer to start off with.

Agreed Dereekoo but thought I would publish as I have found Forever White to be most efficaceous in the past. Another super efficient antimould product I will mention is the spray produced by Dettol. We had not been in this house long before HID noticed a small mould patch high in one corner of the bedroom. "Get the Dettol" says I and gave it a couple of squirts. "Blimey" said HID after a couple of minutes, "It's vanished!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back