Mount Kitchen Wall Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered a 500mm wide kitchen wall unit, and we want to mount it so that it backs up against the left hand panel of the built in fridge/freezer unit (see first picture below, unit would go against built in fridge/freezer unit, i.e. the panel that is showing in the picture that is not the door).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What wall fixings would we need to do this, to ensure it was stable. Also, will the wood panels on the side of the built in fridge freezer unit be strong enough to hold the wall unit?

Sponsored Links
Wall units is supplied with brackets required, will hand straight off the existing unit assuming this is secured correctly.Will require a small space on wall side to allow door opening.
Why is it not being hung on the wall?

Wall units is supplied with brackets required, will hand straight off the existing unit assuming this is secured correctly.Will require a small space on wall side to allow door opening.
Why is it not being hung on the wall?

The unit we have ordered (a Cooke and Lewis unit from B&Q) doesn't come with fixings for the wall.

Isn't going against the (red) wall as we only have 300mm of space there and want a bigger sized unit. Also its an open-fronted unit with no doors so I assume we can put it flush with the wall?

Does it have a solid back, most good quality units do, you can fix straight thru to cup'd.Or simple L plates mounted so they can't be seen.

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware, all Cooke and Lewis wall units come complete with the brackets for mounting them to whatever your using as the background.
Do you have a link to the wall unit your buying? (off the DIY.com website)??

As far as I'm aware, all Cooke and Lewis wall units come complete with the brackets for mounting them to whatever your using as the background.
Do you have a link to the wall unit your buying? (off the DIY.com website)??
Its on the following page:-

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathrooms/bathroom-furniture

Click on "More Information" at the bottom right of the main picture, then click on "View the Bathrooms Brochure".

The item is on page 150 of the brochure, and is the 500mm slimline cabinet (item 4002802).

We had to get the bathroom cabinet as it was the only colour that matched direct with our existing kitchen.

Ahh, I was automatically thinking of kitchen wall units (you did say kitchen wall unit in your OP) If there are no brackets with it, do the instructions say anything about wall mounting it? I notice on the B&Q website for the item it says they are modular and to order legs for base units or leave them off for wall units, so I assume there must be some method of wall mounting without any screws showing.
Perhaps a bit of work involved here, but you could possibly screw through from the existing unit (would mean removing the fridge/freezer to accomplish this) ;) ;)

PS , had I lived in East Lothian I could have nipped round, but sadly left there around 45 yrs ago, although I was up in Prestonpans on holiday earlier this year.
Happy New Year BTW. ;) ;) ;)

By the looks of your unit and the bedroom one its walnut isn't it? if so don't B&Q do a walnut kitchen unit.Should add that the bedroom furniture is likely to be made of foil backed chipboard as opposed to the kitchen cabinet which will be laminated.

Ahh, I was automatically thinking of kitchen wall units (you did say kitchen wall unit in your OP) If there are no brackets with it, do the instructions say anything about wall mounting it? I notice on the B&Q website for the item it says they are modular and to order legs for base units or leave them off for wall units, so I assume there must be some method of wall mounting without any screws showing.
Perhaps a bit of work involved here, but you could possibly screw through from the existing unit (would mean removing the fridge/freezer to accomplish this) ;) ;)

PS , had I lived in East Lothian I could have nipped round, but sadly left there around 45 yrs ago, although I was up in Prestonpans on holiday earlier this year.
Happy New Year BTW. ;) ;) ;)

Apologies for the confusing opening post, thought it would confuse matters if I mentioned in the original post that it was a bathroom unit that we were using in the kitchen!

We did order a 600mm unit originally which turned out to be (just) too big by about 5mm so we had to send it back, and we're still waiting on the 500mm unit arriving (I was trying to do some prep work in advance to work out how to put it up).

I can't remember exactly what the instructions for the 600mm unit said - it definitely didn't come with screws to mount on the wall, I think it said that we would need to use screws that were suitable for the surface we were mounting it onto (or something similar).

I think what I'll do is await the 500mm unit being delivered, and then post on here what the instructions say.

p.s. We're in Tranent so not far from where you were in Prestonpans, if that was the first time you'd been up since you left 45 years ago you must have noticed some difference (so many new houses being built!).

p.p.s. Happy New Year to you too, hope you had a great one!

By the looks of your unit and the bedroom one its walnut isn't it? if so don't B&Q do a walnut kitchen unit.Should add that the bedroom furniture is likely to be made of foil backed chipboard as opposed to the kitchen cabinet which will be laminated.

The walnut kitchen design that they do doesn't match exactly with our existing (homebase) kitchen - we brought home a door panel from the B&Q walnut kitchen and it was slightly off - whereas the Cooke & Lewis Bathroom walnut matches exactly.

Incredibly annoying - and Homebase only JUST in November discontinued the kitchen style we currently have too!

Ahh a Tranent Basher ;) ;)

It's usual for the sheds not to supply screws for fixing units to walls etc, as they don't know what sort of background your fixing the units to.
As for the Pans, I've been back plenty of times since leaving, but last time was the first time for about 6 or 7 years. Been through Tranent many times though on the Wyles bus service to Ormiston where my gran and great aunt lived. Anyway when your unit arrives I'm sure all will become clear as to how it fixes to the panel your fixing to. ;) ;) ;)

Have now got wall unit for fitting, have attached the relevant pages:-

The wood that we're wanting to fit it onto (see second picture in original post) is 25mm (the brown - hard - wood) followed by 15mm conti board. The back of the wall unit that we want to put up itself is approx 2mm thick.

We were "advised" in B&Q just to use screws that were long enough to go through all 3 pieces of board (the back of the new wall unit, the hard brown wood that it will directly face onto, and then the conti board that sits behind the brown wood). Not much help then.

There are only two areas for screws to go into - one in the top left corner of the unit and one in the top right corner of the unit (Step 7 in the attached instructions shows how this should be done for the top left corner).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back