Mounting Rad on L&P wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to mount a 600x600 type 21 on a lath and plaster wall. I really hope I can locate the studs (from behind the wall) but what should I do it the studs don't line up with the bracket positions? Should I add some batterns to the studs? I have attached an image of the area.

View media item 89342

Sponsored Links
Use 18 or 25mm ply (whichever best meets the thickness of the L&P) to replace the L&P, which you've carefully cut out.

600mm square is not so big, I would fit the brackets up with toggle bolts. I have some I bought from Screwfix, but they do not stock them any more. The steel toggle bolts suffer from having a big hole to fit them and if the bolt is taken out the toggle falls down into the wall cavity - There goes another £1 !. The ones I had needed a 8mm hole and the back bit was held to the front by some long plastic ties. So you drilled the hole , poked it through then pulled on the ties to pull the back bit forward and tight. The ties were then cut off. I would use three of these per bracket and orientate them so the wings were up and down (across the laths). if you have a go at this first , if it fails you could then still remove the L&P and use the ply. I think you will have a mega problem finishing the old plaster to the ply.

Whoeeh!, found 'em :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snaptoggl...Wall-Fixings-Screws-Bolts-Plugs-/390693763928
Frank

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheers Reindeer and Frank.

I will have a look at the toggles... think I saw some today in wickes but wasn't sure whether to get them.

I am going to check where the studs are first in case I get lucky! if not I will try these methods!

Sponsored Links
I have been doing some research and taken the comments into consideration. I have also found the vertical stud by drilling from the opposite side of the wall - one falls in the centre of the rad position and the others are outside the rad area.

I was thinking the safest way to mount it now would be to cut away the lath and plaster across 3 studs. Mount 3x2 timber horizontally between studs where the brackets will be mounted, then plasterboard and skim to match up with the wall.

What do you guys think?

If you are confident of making good the L&P then go ahead. Personally I find that the skim coat is normally OK but the scratch coat is dust held together with more dust.
Another suggestion is get a bit of 1/2" plywood a bit smaller then the rad. Mount the brackets on it from the back with countersunk bolts and washers and nuts on the front. Paint it white, then mount it with at least 4 3" screws into the "central" stud, hang rad.
Frank

Thanks again Frank.

I assume by scratch coat you are referring to the sort of Browning plaster. Yes it does tend to be crumbly in our house. I guess if we were to do it this way the new skin meeting the old wall would be hidden by the rad and then papered. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I won't let it look bad.

Your other suggestion is great! I would just need to ensure the ply is strong enough to support rad and that having all the load in the central stud is okay....

Look to fit the radiator this week. I have marked up the 1/2" MDF So I can mount the brackets with countersunk machine screws.

Only thing I am thinking now is whether to mount the board onto the wall, or whether to cut away just the Plaster, leaving the laths. The MDF should then sit about flush with the rest of the wall and I can feather in.

Either way I will use 6X 3 inch screws with washers to secure the MDF to central stud and then use toggle screws in the corners to keep it flat.

Sound about right? Will post pics when done.

View media item 90313

Thanks Frank - took your advice.

Mounted the brackets to the ply using countersunk machine screws, washers and locking nuts.

I then mounted the ply after preparing the lath and plaster wall. Images below showing progress... still need to reinforce and add toggles in the corners to make it extra secure.

View media item 90404
View media item 90405

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back