Moving a bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm moving a bath to a different position in a ground floor bathroom. The intention is to plumb the bath waste into the drain the sink is conncected to. I've been envisaging a nightmare and have been putting it off but I can't do it any longer.

The problem is as per the picture, I have a32mm pipe going into a plastidrain cover which appears to have been solvent welded onto the drain stack. I have a fear of trying to remove the plastidrain cover in case I damage the drain underneath. I can't afford for that to happen.

My intention was/is to T the bath waste and basin waste together and put an anti-vac trap on the basin. The length of the bath waste is 1.3m and the tee needs to be as low as possible to ensure adequate fall because the drain is so high above the floor.

My problem is how to get a 40mm pipe into the cap without damaging anything. A friend suggested using a 32mm tee and reducing the bath waste into it but I believe this won't comply with the regs even though it's dropped down right next to the T.

Someone else suggested taking out the 32mm pipe and opening up the hole in the cap to 40mm and bunging a load of silicone sealant around it, but I'm not sure the seal will be robust to any movement in the pipe through the cap. I could order a plastidrain 110mm-40mm cap just for the seal but a £15 seal seems ridiculous and assumes I can cut the hole to the right size.

The only other option I can think of is trying to cut down the plastidrain cap and replacing it with one of these and then dropping a 40mm T with a short section of pipe onto the top of it.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPC0lbra19UCFZIi0wodWCkMEg

One other thought. Is there anything to say I can't have a 32mm pipe and a 40mm pipe going into the cap separately? If I did that I think I could put a 40mm 90deg elbow into the cap from the bath waste and get a bit more fall on it.

Has anyone got any other ideas or pearls of wisdom?

Cheers,
Kev

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
The best idea is cut that out and replace with a new cap sized for your needs. It needs to be at least 40mm if a bath and basin is running into it. I'd even suggest 50mm through the cap.

If that's not an option then the best bodge is to get a 20mm piece of of 40/50mm, cut out the 32mm, have at least 50mm of the pipe through into the cap and then use a waterproof adhesive like wetgrab and give it a full day to set. Just use 'enough' adhesive and build it up around pipe where it enters. Once it sets it's as good as a firm rubber seal.

Oh and don't put PTFE tap on the threads of your compression fittings. Only around the olive and only if needed. ;)

Oh and don't put PTFE tap on the threads of your compression fittings. Only around the olive and only if needed. ;)

And definitely not 30 layers as it looks in the picture!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back