Moving a flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am thinking about buying this house, but want to put a conservatory across the back, right where the existing flue is for the oil fired central heating. I don't know what type of flue it is. can the flue be angled upwards into a chimney? Is there any other way, short of a new boiler, to get round the problem of where it is? Flue right bang in the middle of a nice large wall ideal otherwise for a conservatory!!
Click pic to enlarge
Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a balanced flue system.

it can be moved, but could end up a huge job ( possibly relocating the boiler)

have you checked the manufacture instructions re flue positions ?

Thanks for your help. I haven't bought the house - whether we can add a conservatory is important in making the decision!

There is nowhere to move the boiler to (as there are only two rooms downstairs and the boiler is in a cupboard.) I guess it could be moved to an outside wall on a new extension.

I have found pages that offer chimneys for balanced flues for oil central heating up to 2.59metres (plus extension pieces- I guess it may depend on the boiler as it may be that some can only have straight through flues?

How does the air get in to a boiler through a balanced flue if it has a chimney - does it suck down the outside still?

http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/oil_boilers/flue_specs.html

actually i doubt its balanced flue, looking at it now.,

tbh it have it ripped out, and a combi fitted.

Sponsored Links
The pic doesn't enlarge.

Is this the flue?
96710843lz5.jpg

If so no, looks impossible to alter.

would need to know the boiler installed.

most oil boilers can have their flues altered to a high level outlet.

Looking at this one from the pic is a fairly old one and changing it to anew condensing one would be more efficient and also allow you to have a vertical flue up the outside of the building. Look at he worcester site.

In the context of buying a house then replacing the boiler is a very minor cost!

There are oil boilers which can be fittted on the wall on the OUTSIDE of a house for example.

Tony

Thanks for your help people! You are right - it looks pretty old - I suspect it dates from refurb in 1990.

The link to the picture should now open for everyone.

What is approx cost for fitting a decent (bosch worcester) sort of combi - only needs to be the smallest as just 5 rooms in the house including bathroom? Would need a vertical flue that would have to be inorporated in the back wall of a conservatory

This is in Suffolk (note the pink!) so I could be getting quotes from anyone interested!

It would seem to that layout would lend itself well to a proper single story extension rather than a glass and plastic conservatory.

Supply and fit replacement boiler in a different place perhaps £2500-£4500.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back