moving a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have purchased a new bedroom suite and need to move a light switch, the switch has the normal 2 wires plus the earth connected to the metal backbox, I need to move the switch so that it is on the side of the wardrobe as there is no room for it to remain on the wall, the new back box I purchased is plastic and thus has no connection available for the earth, do i just leave it connected in the metal one which will have a blanking plate over it and extend the pos/neut or do I need to look at an alternative?

Sponsored Links
You should connect the eath to the metal back box and take another earth in your new wire to the plastic box and terminate it into the relevent size connector.

Sponsored Links
RMS said:
You should connect the eath to the metal back box and take another earth in your new wire to the plastic box and terminate it into the relevent size connector.
there is no where inside the plastic back box to connect the earth and there is no where on the switch itself so unsure what you actually mean

The box is plastic so there is no need to earth it but you should have an earth wire there in a seperate connector block so you have a potential difference point to test for voltage.

Is there plastice box a dry lining box that fits into plaster board walls?

RMS said:
The box is plastic so there is no need to earth it but you should have an earth wire there in a seperate connector block so you have a potential difference point to test for voltage.

Is there plastice box a dry lining box that fits into plaster board walls?
yes the box is the dry lining type, but i am happy if all I need to do is run an extension of the earth into a terminal block within the back box, should I still leave it connected in the old back box as well or doesn't it really matter?

Yes leave it connected and put a blank plate over it, reason being is that the screws that screw the plate on will be earthed through the box. Just terminate the old earth and new earth wire to the screw in the metal back box.

RMS said:
Yes leave it connected and put a blank plate over it, reason being is that the screws that screw the plate on will be earthed through the box. Just terminate the old earth and new earth wire to the screw in the metal back box.
many thanks for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back