Moving a toilet - just a bit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a large old fashioned cistern and toilet with a modern slim one.
This is a very small cloakroom with a concrete floor. The current soil pipe goes into a hole in the ground. I know that it is connected to a plastic pipe that goes under the concrete floor and under the nearby wall. The pipe has been there for about 30 years so it is probably quite brittle.
When I measure up for the new toilet, the soil pipe will need to enter the floor about 20cm (8ins) further back than the existing pipe and at 90 degrees to where the pipe goes under the concrete.
My questions are ...
1. How can I move the pipe such a short distance, is there anything on the market that will allow me to adjust the angle of the existing pipe?
2. There is only about 38cm (15ins) between where the pipe exits and goes under the wall. If I break up the concrete is it likely that I will damage the pipe, even if I don't how do I cut it off?
3. Is there any likelyhood that I could damage my damp proof course?

I did seek advice from my local Travis Perkins who said 'it is impossible - don't even think about it - you will end up in all sorts of trouble and could cause major damp proof problems for the future'.
Fact is I have already bought the stuff and don't want to fail now.

Your help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You've certainly made a rod for your own back. Moving only 20cm is a tall order, but if you go and get two 100mm spigot bends and play about with them then might manage it - you'll have to crop both spigots though.

You'll also have to break out part of the floor and carefully cut down the existing verticle soil pipe to end up at the right height.

Or..... you could take the suite back and get one that requires no soil pipe alterations....

Softus
Thanks for the reply, I was begining to think that noone would think it possible. Have had a look at spigots (on the internet). I think I can see what you are getting at. Will go out today and buy some and fiddle around with them to see what sort of angles I can get to. I was rather hoping that there would be something flexible on the market. Would you have concerns about damaging the existing pipe, or the damp proof course?
thanks and regards

Sponsored Links
I would indeed be very careful with the existing pipe, especially because it's likely to be ceramic, but I haven't succeeded in visualising where the pipe does through the wall relative to the DPC - any chance of a photo?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back