moving an immersion heater tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please.

My girlfriends mum lives in a house where all of the water outlets eg bath taps, sink taps, kitchen taps and the cistern are all downstairs.

There is a fire in the kitchen which heats an immersion tank directly above in a bedroom. She wants to know can you disconnect this tank and reconnect it downstairs in an unused area just outside the kitchen.

Or is it there so it supplys the pressure to the hot taps downstairs through gravity.

She wants to turn the area upstairs where the tank is into a wardrobe.

Any help would be great i can explain further or find out more if it helps

Many thanks Darren

Sponsored Links
sorry your not explaining very well......a 'fire' heats an immersion tank?!. Is the 'fire' a boiler? if so gas/oil/lpg....is it solid fuel?? Immersion tank?? Most water stores are known as cylinders and have an electric heating eliment in them...the immersion heater.....

If it is a tank it may be unvented (mains pressure usually) or vented....i need more info before i can comment....

the gravity pressure to your taps has nothing to do where the cylinder is top floor or bottom floor.
its where the hight of the cws (cold water storage) tank is that supplys the cylinder.

It sounds like he's describing a back boiler heating a cylinder, probably on gravity, which he wants to move downstairs, which would be a bit of a no no. Unless they pump it or settle for using the immersion for hot water. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i know sorry, basically if the fire has not been lit then you have to turn the immersion heater on, and yes sorry it is a cylinder.

so the heat from the fire travels up a pipe to the cyclinder and heats it up, it then probably returns back down stairs to the hot water draw off points.

is there an easy way to know if its vented or unvented. it is very old anyway so i'm not sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back