Moving an outside light higher in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a pair of outside lights on the house exterior Brick walls either side of my drive at first floor level. One lights is 5 bricks lower in height than the other light. I’ve replaced the lights with Up/Down wall lights and its now more obvious that they are mounted different heights and it affecting my OCD

The room inside of the lower light is the kitchen, so I don’t have access to re wire from the inside.

Q. Any suggestions on how the cabling will be routed ? and suggestions of how to move the cable access point up 5 bricks ?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpeg
    IMG_1104.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Fit a junction box and conduit or trunking to both, the fact that one is empty would not matter. I have seen where the building is illuminated with churches and the like, but why with a normal house would you want the light to shine up? I spend ages with my outside lights which were designed to take a bulb with connections at the bottom fitting a reflector to direct the light down to floor, as LED bulb direct all light up.

I know a neighbour has two silly globes on the gate posts, darn things light my bedroom, and they are left on all night.

I’m trying to avoid having surface fittings otherwise they will just be illuminated by the light which defeats the purpose of brick surface up/down lights.

The room inside of the lower light is the kitchen, so I don’t have access to re wire from the inside.

Q. Any suggestions on how the cabling will be routed ? and suggestions of how to move the cable access point up 5 bricks ?
Well, it is difficult to tell from the internet but I would guess that the PIR is supplied from a first floor socket - is there a Switched Fused Connector Unit near one of the sockets? - then the cable is just fed to the nearest light in the picture. Can't say how it gets across to the other light but as you only have to move one...

Sponsored Links
It’s not a PIR light, just standard Up/Downlight. There are 6 all connected via a switch to the circuit in the garage. I just want to move this one to the same height as the one opposite this one, so it’s symmetrical.

Hi all,
I have a pair of outside lights on the house exterior Brick walls either side of my drive at first floor level. One lights is 5 bricks lower in height than the other light. I’ve replaced the lights with Up/Down wall lights and its now more obvious that they are mounted different heights and it affecting my OCD

Many thanks,
If there are kitchen cabinets in the way that gives an opportunity to hide the cabling, then drill through at the appropriate point in the wall, otherwise add cable and jb outside but will look unsightly. Sometimes you can fish cable down inside the insulation.

Blup

There are no kitchen cabinets on the other side. Just plasterboard wall

The only other ways, are to see if there is enough slack in the cable to run the cable out and up the wall, to the new position, or....

Do a suitable soldered joint, well insulated with heat shrink sleaving, to enable you to push the joint back into the hole. Then if you still wanted the cable hidden in the wall, chase the mortar out between the bricks, and mortar over the top..

you could mention light pollution to your neighbour and ask them to blank off part of the globe such that it doesnt shine your way

what does the pir on the right hand wall switch on?
It’s not a PIR light, just standard Up/Downlight. There are 6 lights all connected via a switch to the circuit in the garage. I just want to move this one to the same height as the one opposite this one, so it’s symmetrical.

It’s not a PIR light, just standard Up/Downlight. There are 6 lights all connected via a switch to the circuit in the garage. I just want to move this one to the same height as the one opposite this one, so it’s symmetrical.
Silly me:

1695912132148.png

It looks like the mortar around the light has been hacked about quite extensively already so perhaps removing a couple/few bricks might be the easiest way.

Silly me:

View attachment 315307

It looks like the mortar around the light has been hacked about quite extensively already so perhaps removing a couple/few bricks might be the easiest way.

I cleaned the mortar as there was some algae growth around the old light.

That old PIR was a motion sensor for something else. There are no PIR’s connected to these lights.

Channel that with a multi tool, drill through wall and add cable, then repair p/board, it can be made to look almost invisible.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back