Moving CU, what about existing circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at moving a CU for a friend. Having SE come in tomorrow to move meter 2m and replace the meter for a new one with the DP isolator so i can work on tails safely.
My concern is the length of the existing curcuits, what if the Ring main, light circuit etc aren't long enough to reach the new position? What's the procedure? Im aware it's not right to extend those circuits with JB's!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can use jb's but don't forget that they will have to be accessible for future inspection/testing, so it might be wise to use crimps & use a ratchet crimp tool.

id prefer to crimp or terminate (if i really have to) the circuits in one large junc box, not having single JBs or crimped wires floating about etc, that will look awful surely?

SO my question is, what sort of box would one use?

Sponsored Links
festive said:
id prefer to crimp or terminate (if i really have to) the circuits in one large junc box, not having single JBs or crimped wires floating about etc, that will look awful surely?

SO my question is, what sort of box would one use?
I would use a plastic adaptable box, and gland all the cables going in, it can look ok done neatly, not something you would put on display in a sitting room, but presentable lol. But it would need to be where the original CU was, which may be a problem as you are obviously moving it for a reason . . .

SE turned up this morning to move the meter box.

It only needed to be moved about .5 mere. For starters, Instead of fitting a nice new digi meter with built in insulation, they just add a DP isolator to the old one, and the tails comin out the dp switch were untidy, outter sheath not tucked in and cut jagged, i could of done a better job!

festive said:
Instead of fitting a nice new digi meter with built in insulation, they just add a DP isolator to the old one
this doesnt surprise me. But why does it bother you? They are no more accurate or attractive.

Where possible, just run a new length of cable from your C/U to the first point of each circuit. Where this is impractical or just plain hard work, use methods suggested, JB's/ Adaptable box etc.
TS

Jeepers b-a-s, you have the uncanny ability to ask the very question that we're all thinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back