Moving hot water cylinder and regs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spoken to the local BCO about a couple of jobs that I am intending to do. One of them was to move the hot water cylinder by about 3m to another cupboard so that the existing airing cupboard could be knocked into the bathroom to make it bigger...

They said that Building Control approval was not required for any of this work but a Corgi guy must carry out the movement of the cylinder. Is there any way that I can do the work and then have it approved? Or are the chances of finding a corgi guy that will sign off the job close to 0?

Sponsored Links
Being a worrier about things like this I don't know what to do now. I'm tempted just to leave everything as it is :(

They also still charge £250 for inspecting electrical work to show its compliant even though the approved doc says they should foot the bill.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies guys.

One other question, I'm going to replace all the compression fittings that join to the threaded part in the cylinder when I move the tank over. What size are these normally? 3/4"?

WHY change them :idea: :?: :rolleyes: .....just use new olives.........You won`t get them out the cyl. in a hurry :eek:

Should have explained what I meant a bit better Nige. I'm not intending on replacing the part in the cylinder, just the olive and nut part :)

Back again...

Looks like the top heat exchange connector is 1" which goes onto a 28mm -> 15mm reducer. The bottom one is 3/4" and goes onto a 22mm -> 15mm reducer.

Whats the difference between a cylinder union such as these:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100555&ts=74559&id=88160

and a tap connector:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100555&ts=74669&id=15885

Are they infact one and the same except the cylinder union is 1" and the tap connector is 3/4"? Or is one tapered and the other one square etc?

Are they any different to using an olive on the end of the piece of pipe and using the existing nut?

Sorry for all the q's!

From a lateral thinking point of view, you could cut the pipes about six inches from the cylinder connections, that way you wont disturb the joints that can be trouble some on older cylinders.

Re the electric, just postpone the connection of the emmerssion heater until your pocket can afford a competent sparky.

Tim

PS it may be prudent to take this opotunity to upgrade your existing cylinder.

PPS you could open a beer, put your feet up and get a plumber in to do it.

Thanks for the reply...

In the year since the original post I have moved the cylinder and re-plumbed the hot and cold water in the house!

Glad I didn't pay someone to do it in the end. Turned out to be a very easy job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back