MS Excel question

B

breezer

is it possible in excell to automaticaly copy info (what ever goes into a cell) from one sheet to another? if so how. (i have treid the paperclip help, and i am getting no where)

e.g.

sheet 1works out say a % off

sheet 2 works out a say a differnt % off

sheet 3 totals them both up

I can do it manually by copy , paste special (i paste just the numbers) but can it be done "automatcialy?"

Sponsored Links
Excel-1.jpg

B3 sht 1 input value 500
B5 sht 1 calcs 25% ( B1 ) of 500 ( B3 )

B1 sht 2 17.5%
B3 sht 2 dynamic view of B3 sht 1
B5 sht 2 calcs 17.5% of sht2 B3 which is actually sht1 B3

B8 sht 2 directly calcs 17.5% of sht 1 B3.

Open new excel 'window' arrange 'windows' - tiled to preference.
Shove a number in sht 1 .. move focus to sht 2 type '=' in a cell, focus at input, move cursor to sht 1 click on the 'number' should result in '=Sheet1! cell ref' .. job done.
Or simply type the reference as shown.

Online help... Halfway down page .. Much the same across versions.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP101023431033.aspx?pid=CH100648431033
:cool:

There are probably neater solutions but this may work for you.

For sheet 3 highlight the cell where you want to put the totals and type "="
Then highlight first sheet cell with total and type "+".
Goto second sheet tab and again highlight total and type "+"
Press return and you should have total of sheet1 cell + sheet2 cell on sheet3.

Hope that makes sense :D

Nicer example from empip :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ah for the good old, bad old days of dossing with SuperCalc :LOL: :LOL:

'We' moved to Excel in about '88 Ver.2 I think, ( ver.1 was for the Mac?? ) I have just binned 'Lotus 1-2-3' from an age ago - discs manuals and box.
All pristine -- maybe should have whacked it onto ebay..

Company shifted to 'Minitab' for stats work, some concerns about Excel, purely peripheral tools for me...
:rolleyes:

I have just binned 'Lotus 1-2-3' from an age ago - discs manuals and box.
Good old lotus 1-2-3, must have been late 80's when that was the most popular spreadsheets. Computer Wizards our colleagues called us for knowing how to work with it ;)

I can go back further... 1977'ish !!! Commodore P50 24 step prog' calculator... ( A big step from my flimsy, red, 2 memory Sinclair circa '75 )
Just slipped a 9 v Duracell into it... Remains in working order, have manual too.

Any offers ;)
http://www.voidware.com/calcs/p50.htm
:cool:

Around that time we only were allowed to 'study' with Texas Instruments - looked roughly the same as yours and did replace (luckily) the old ruler to calculated tanges , co-tanges etc

In case you are going to the local shed this weekend beware .

I'm not usually one for posting warnings about potential scams but I had a close call yesterday.

I walked into Woodwares Inc. at lunchtime, wandered down the timber aisle and some old dart dressed in a red shirt with a green apron asked me if I wanted decking.

Fortunately, I got the first half dozen punches in and sorted the old bu##er out. Those less wary might not be so lucky...
:D :D

Very good pip :LOL: back to the original question,

You can just reference a cell from one sheet to another by for example (on sheet3 type in a cell) =Sheet1!A1

This will copy whatever value is in the cell A1 on sheet 1 into the cell on sheet 3

or

Do the above by simply entering = in a cell then clicking on whatever sheet tab you want, then click whatever cell on that sheet you want.

So on sheet 3 by clicking as above on sheets 1 and 2 you can end up with a formula something like

=Sheet1!A1 (formula) Sheet2!B2

In case you are going to the local shed this weekend beware .

I'm not usually one for posting warnings about potential scams but I had a close call yesterday.

I walked into Woodwares Inc. at lunchtime, wandered down the timber aisle and some old dart dressed in a red shirt with a green apron asked me if I wanted decking.

Fortunately, I got the first half dozen punches in and sorted the old bu##er out. Those less wary might not be so lucky...
:D :D

Worst case of plagiarism for some time.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=522783#522783

:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back