Multiway Digital Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought a Multiway Digital Dimmer at Homebase (2*250W) to replace a standard double light switch. The existing unit controls the lights in the dining room (DR) and living room (LR). There is an identical unit that controls the lights in both rooms, in the kitchen. In other words two two-way switches.

The unit I am replacing is wired as follows:
LR side: one yellow in COM, two reds in L1, one black and one blue in L2.
DR side: one yellow in COM, one red in L1, one blue in L2.

I have wired the new dimmer unit as follows:
LR side: yellow in L, two reds in SW, one black and one blue in ~ (using the same pairings as in the old unit)
DR side: yellow in L, red in SW, blue in ~

Now, here are the two problems:

1) Both DR and LR are weak and the lights flicker slightly (not very weak, but weaker). There is 150W in DR and 160W in LR. Is this because the dimmers are 250W each and I need at least twice the capacity of the lights in each dimmer? I read something about that in this forum, but I'd like to be sure.

2) The double switch that I have not touched (in the kitchen) still works fine (i.e. each switch controls each room the way it's supposed to). But the dimmer does nothing. The two lights on the dimmer are off too. Strangely, one side of the dimmer had its light on at some point (I reconnected the wires a few times in my attempts to make this work).
Did I fry the dimmer (both sides) because of the lights were too strong?
I'm thinking I should test the dimmer unit by connecting it to a simple one way switch in a room that only has a 60W light bulb. To do that, how do I wire it?

NOTE: I had originally done the following wiring to the new unit: yellows to ~, reds to L1 and black/blue to L2. But in that configuration, the lights in both rooms were always ON!

Thanks!!!

Vincent

Sponsored Links
are you saying you have one dimmer, on a two way lighting circuit, and now you have changed the other on/off (other end of room) switch to a dimmer?

if the answer is yes, that is your problem, you can not have 2 ordainairy 2 way dimmers operating the same light, it just doesnt work

Nope. There were no dimmers before. Just two two-way switches, controling living room and dining room. I am changing one of those units to a double dimmer. In other words, I am not using dimmers at the same time for the same circuit.

Vincent

i see. the ~ is actually common, try re wiring it but putting the yellows in ~ (as you said it was before)

there is mention of this in for refernce

Sponsored Links
OK, and with the old L1 into L and the old L2 into SW?

And do you think the weaker lights is caused by too many Watts in the circuit for the dimmer?

Thanks again!

Vincent

try it and see, wrong lights because they are wired in series with each other

OK, I'll try that combination tomorrow (too dark now!).

One last thing: are you saying that the lights in the dining room and living room are wired in series, and it's a bad thing if using a dimmer? Should I have it rewired in parallel? Sorry about the dumb questions, I'm obviously a newbie...

Vincent

i am saying that because of the way you have wired the swith they have become in series, but it back the way i suggest and all should be fine. did yo look in for refernce?

Oh, I see, thanks for explaining the series bit. I assume that by 'reference' you mean there is somewhere on the site where there is newbie info on two-way dimmers? I'll have a look around.

Vincent

reference is at the top, but
squiggle =com,
SW-L1,
other =L2.
note only one dimmer per lamp group, otherwise two dimmers will fight it out, and get upset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back