Music copyright

I

imamartian

Anyone know the law?

I can't downlaod a song?!!

but i'm in a band, can we play a lady Gaga song as a cover? Can i whistle M J's thriller as i cycle to work? do i need to pay anyone? :eek:

Sponsored Links
From what I understand .....you pay to play music if its in a public place....as in shop hairdressers etc.,
I assume that it is illegal to download songs and not pay for them.....although if you log into vuze there are about 2 million online at any one time, presumably all downloading :eek: :eek:

There's been quite a lot on music copyright of late. Sir Paul McCartney has been on complaining that 50 yrs copyright before it expires, just isn't long enough (only because medical science keeps him alive) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Well, he bought a "Ticket to ride." , realised it was a "Long and Winding Road.", and is not happy that he won't have £millions coming in when he's sat in a wheelchair in a carehome somewhere in the UK (and all of his income goes to his upkeep) (blame social services for that) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (all strictly tongue in cheek)

There's been quite a lot on music copyright of late. Sir Paul McCartney has been on complaining that 50 yrs copyright before it expires, just isn't long enough (only because medical science keeps him alive) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Well, he bought a "Ticket to ride." , realised it was a "Long and Winding Road.", and is not happy that he won't have £millions coming in when he's sat in a wheelchair in a carehome somewhere in the UK (and all of his income goes to his upkeep) (blame social services for that) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (all strictly tongue in cheek)

I thought the time limit was longer than that? I also thought that the Beatles collective sold their copyright rights to Micheal Jackson, and there was some legal issue regarding that? Now he is dead...who knows? Also the issue of Apple of the "i" fame, versus Apple recording studio.

Using music in a public space, requires a license, as far as I know. It is legal to download songs over a certain age, but not reworkings of those songs.

I heard that 'Torrents', it's not illegal to download, but is illegal to use the content of the torrent. And people have been shut down for doing so...only to argue, the above.

So whatever you do DO NOT go to the Hotfix Forum, or search it out, for free torrents of Windows 8, latest software, or free software, it simply will not work not.

There is no guide there, on how to turn your PC into a Mac...no latest games to download, and definately NO way to obtain and download programs for free, including codes. None of it. not.

Sponsored Links
Ahh Micky,, I'd forgotten about the Apple V Apple saga, but would have thought that the original Apple Records was set up years before Apple Computing. Therefore there's not much for them to battle over is there? I wonder if Apple Computing will now take all greengrocers to court for selling produce with the same name?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

MM is correct in that you do need a licence to play music in public. It's called a Public Entertainment licence, available from your local council.
The band or group that are performing do not need this. It is for the host venue to obtain.

The rest of this refers to the band or group's responsibilities or the venue if it is recorded music being played.

Royalties for playing particular songs are a mixed bag.
If you're playing a song that is still subject to royalties, you pay a fee. But you may not know which songs are subject to royalties, so you simply fill out a form indicating which songs have been performed/played and the PRS (Performing Rights Society) will send you an invoice to cover the royalties. They will then sub-divide that money amongst the appropriate recipients.

However, if you are playing from written music, which may not be subject to royalties, e.g playing Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, you must have bought and payed for that arrangement. It is against copyright to photocopy this arrangement, unless, and this is the only exception, you have the original bought arragement but are using photocopies for rehearsal or perormance to avoid damage/loss to the 'honourable' copies.

Copyright remains in force until 70 years from the end of the year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

Being in a band IaM surely you would be expected to know that?

Years ago I used to arrange the music for a carnival band. I used to spend hours in the reference section of the public library looking up who owned the copyright for some of the music I'd arranged. All to satisfy the PRS (Performing Rights Society). Had to also fill in approximately how many times each song would be played publicly during the year. They'd have been better asking how long a piece of string was. ;) ;)

I also thought that the Beatles collective sold their copyright rights to Micheal Jackson, and there was some legal issue regarding that? Now he is dead...who knows? Also the issue of Apple of the "i" fame, versus Apple recording studio.

Northern songs originally owned the publishing rights to the beatles songs (of which both lennon and McCartney both had shares in This was later sold to ATV who later auctioned them off. Michael Jackson was the highest bidder (which really Peed off Paul McCartney so they fell out)
Michael Jackson later merged with sony
Most of the Beatle songs are now jointly owned by Jackson and Sony/ATV Music Publishing
Matt

Why would i know that? do you get a handbook when you start a band?... :eek: and what about a group of 12 yr olds... do they need to get DIYnot accounts to ask such questions? :eek:

Why would i know that? do you get a handbook when you start a band?... :eek: and what about a group of 12 yr olds... do they need to get DIYnot accounts to ask such questions? :eek:

Got to agree I've been singing/playing on and off for around 25 yrs and haven't a clue either :)

Got to agree I've been singing/playing on and off for around 25 yrs and haven't a clue either :)

Just look at the music sheets, where copyright applies, every one of them states 'copyright'!

Did you notice how Greedy Cowell got all people who auditioned for the X-factor to sign over all copyright entitlement to HIMSELF?

LooPrEvil";p="2116824 said:

Just look at the music sheets, where copyright applies, every one of them states 'copyright'!

Out of interest: Did you notice how Greedy Cowell got all those who auditioned for the X-factor to sign over all copyright entitlement to HIMSELF?

[Just look at the music sheets, where copyright applies, every one of them states 'copyright'!

This invariably relates to the arrangement, i.e. the printed music, rather than to the original song. Along with that copyright notice will be the warnings about copying it.
Usually the payment for that sheet of music is sufficient 'payment' to the arranger. Sometimes, of course, the arranger may also be the composer.

If you played a recorded version of the original song, in its original form or variations of its original, you may need to pay royalties to whichever artist was playing/singing it.

For instance, The Floral Dance, http://www.8notes.com/scores/611.asp
Founded on an old Cornish Air, but the famous one was arranged by Kate Moss. Therefore anyone else can do an arrangement of that original Cornish Air and sell it or give it away, as per the arranger in the link supplied.
It's advertised as Trad, because the author is/was unknown, but this arrangement by David Bruce is free, but you are still not allowed to photocopy it.
Kate Moss's arrangement is sold because it's such an excellent arrangement.

Another example: you can do your own arrangement of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto. therefore no royalties are payable and if you mark your version as Copyright, no-one else can use it without your permission, whether you sell it or give it way. By selling it or giving it away you implicitly give permission for it to be played.
Anyone else is free to do their own arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Back