Musty Smell in Lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So ive recently moved into and old 1940's house after I did a complete refurbishment on it.
The lounge had wooden floorboards over a dirt floor I didn't like this however didnt know what else to do. I was more concerned at the time that loads of spiders would crawl up into the lounge!

Anyway apart from having 2 spiders in 6 months thats not been a huge problem lol
However every time I enter the lounge I also get a wiff of what the house smelt like when we where renovating it. I.e old and smelly and dusty. The kitchen has a solid contrate floor and does not have this small neither do the upstairs rooms.

It's not the end of the world but im guessing we should of really put concrete into the space?
I was on a budget but now im kind of regretting it.

Can anything be done that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Are there any air bricks? How many? Are they clear or blocked?

As for spiders, you're lucky: they eat the flies!

I prefer fly s to spiders I don't trust anything with 8 eyes that can run faster than I can!
It's a good point there are two one of them is blocked up ..ok that's my job for tonight !

Sponsored Links
It's vital that you increase the ventilation under the floor or the humidity level will be perfect for the growth of wet or dry rot in the timbers. Once you've done that, think about actually sealing the floor so that the earthy odour doesn't come through, bearing in mind that any warm air that rises out of the upstairs windows, attic hatch etc. must be replaced by air coming in from below.

Either that or tell 'er indoors to watch telly in the bedroom...

:giggle:

It's vital that you increase the ventilation under the floor or the humidity level will be perfect for the growth of wet or dry rot in the timbers. Once you've done that, think about actually sealing the floor so that the earthy odour doesn't come through, bearing in mind that any warm air that rises out of the upstairs windows, attic hatch etc. must be replaced by air coming in from below.
Earthy odour - could be a "once damp wood odour" I got that problem in my bungalow - the smell is in the wood from 50 years of inadequate airbricks and poxy water seeping in and above the oversite from a blocked Rainwater Main Drain opposite and up the hill, luckily a new neighbour who's also ex building trade got onto the Water co. and that source is now sorted . Done the airbricks and the boards are shrinking back but the smell needed BIN shellac to seal it in . I just Love the 60's houses !!:notworthy:

Back