My Apollo boiler is driving me nuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, everybody

I have a 30 years old Apollo boiler and this winter it's gone completely mad. It started to kettle especially when it was cold outside - I changed the three ports motorised valve and it's Ok now from this point of view.

The problem though is that every time the pump goes off there is a noise like a faulty switch - electric arc. I checked and the noise comes from the pump. This puts down my internet ADSL and my radio every 10 minutes.
Also I've noticed that lots of times the pump is not synchronized with the boiler, fact that leads to further boiling noises in the boiler. The cycle goes like this: everything works fine, boiler is heating and the pump works fine. At some point the boiler goes off but the pump is still running. Then the pump goes off with that noise. In the next few seconds there is the kettling effect in the boiler and the pump goes on immediately and the noise disappears.
Last but not least every few days during the night I wake up becaus eis very hot in the house.
I suspected the room thermostat (I changed it) and I still suspect the wiring box switches (which I don't know what to replace it with because I can't find anything similar on the web) and I suspect mainly the boiler commands (pump over-run stat).

Is there any way to find the problem apart from calling a Corgi?

Thanks in advance
trxrse

Sponsored Links
Depends whether you can understand the boiler!
It has 3 thermostats. Your overrun stat may be faulty.
Or the pump if it's arcing! Smell it.
Try partsarena.com/baxi

Thanks, Chris

I think I understand the boiler. What I don't know though is if I'm allowed to change the overrun stat myself or not (legally).

Thx
trxrse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back