My Boiler Keeps Locking Out ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m a first time poster so forgive me if this is repeated ground, or if I ask a stupid question.

About a month ago my boiler (Glowworm Fuelsaver 35F) started ‘locking out’ after anywhere between 10mins and a few hours of turning on. The lock-out requires me to push a reset switch, so I’m assuming it’s a safety lock out. When it does, the casing of the boiler is hot, so I assumed over-heating was the cause.

I got British Gas out, but all they said was that my system was full of sludge and that I should think about getting a new boiler installed. (good for them, bad for me). I have since tried putting a sludge remover into my system after draining it, in a hope that it will allow the system to have a sufficient flow rate to keep the boiler cool. It has been a week or so (the chemical can remain in my system for up to 4 weeks apparently), but I have seen no real improvement for it. The radiators got hotter within a couple of hours, so the chemical is doing something.

I got to thinking that the lock-outs started quite suddenly, and if reduced flow rate, due to sludge was the culprit, then surely they would have started more gradually? Say, locking out occasionally to start with.

What other reasons are there for a boiler like this to lock out? Could the pump be broken? The fan in the boiler also sounds a little dodgy at times, like it’s seizing. The pump also makes a reasonable noise. Could these be a problem?

Any pointers or opinions would be very gratefully received.

(I have a standard open, indirect system from what I can see. I have 8 radiators, all fed by micro-bore pipe work. I assume the heating is original with the house i.e. ~1986. I have been in my house for 6 months now )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By the sound of what your saying the system could do with flushing out, if the fan is noisy the bearings could be going and the pump would be effected by the sludge in the pipe work :confused: These type of boiler are LOW water content (about 1 or 2 pints) so they a prone to sludge or scale build up. :cry:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So I take it that you think using the chemical de-sludger will not be sufficient for my type of system?

Sponsored Links
If your fan is squealing/sounding seized you need a new one
Sludge does suddenly become criticasl when it is enough to stop sufficient circulation
Microbore systems rarely respond much to just draining and refilling - you need to force the sludge out. Powerflush, or mains flush see reference section.
Pumps clog up with sludge and stop pumping properly. If the pump is 1986 and noisy it's time for a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back