My combi baffles me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Caradon Isar combi boiler. I replaced a radiator at the weekend and all seemed fine. I came home today to find the boiler out and wont light and leaking water. N obvious leak from the radiator work but I drained down and refilled the central heating, the boiler shows 3 bar and I didn’t need to refill it

I know I have done something daft and simple but what.
Any ideas anyone

Sponsored Links
Pressure should be just over 1 bar cold.

Can you see where the leak is coming from?

Have you closed the filling loop fully?

Yes I thought the pressure was way too high and thought the lop might be constantly open but I can't turn it with a screwdriver (it's a bit damaged)and I can't work out whether it is open or closed. The thing is I can't remember filling the boiler at all after draining the system. I have drained off some water and the pressure falls but only by about 1 bar and then builds up again. Is the thing constantly re-filling then implying the loop is stuck open or am I just a crazy man?

Either the filling loop is stuck open or an outside shot would be the plate he leaking to the system side.

Go with the first.

Have you any sealing caps that are hanging on the filling loop? If so remove it and cap off the cold tap side.

Then get a new filling loop.

Sponsored Links
Sorry

Forgot you asked about the leak. No I can't see it, it isn't gushing out and appears to have stopped albeit there is a drip now and again. A lot has come out during the day however because the bathroom carpet is soaked so it has dropped its water but then again why does it show such a pressure when I didn't fill it. (again unless the loop is stuck open)

Baffled man this end

Could be that leak is coming from joint on prv that hasn't been connected properly. It would only appear when pressure is >3 Bar and prv operates.

The screwdriver slot on the valve must be perpendicular to the valve and pipework to be shut, i.e. across, if it's in line it is open, anything in between is partially open, which amounts to the same thing.

could be the prv is not piped to outside so is dumping the extra pressure on your floor

You people are marvellous

The filling loop IS stuck open (which only a moron like me could miss) so the boiler is overfilling by the look of it and there is no external vent ouside as far as I can see which means guess what?..... wet floor. I must have filled the boiler with it and moved it too far. I am obviously in denial

Can't budge the screw on the loop so looks like a cold night in Leicestershire and no hot shower tomorrow for me. At least it looks like I don't need a new boiler however.

Thanks Guys, appreciate the efforts....great website

Keith (moron)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back