Myson Midas Si - curing false 'insufficient air' alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope someone recognises this problem. I will waffle on a bit to try and give you all the information.

We have a Myson Midas Si combi boiler. It has an intermittent longstanding fault. Sometimes, when hot water has been running for, say, half a bath's worth, it gets into its head that there is insufficient air for 'complete combustion at high rate' and shuts down the burner to low power. The 'insufficient air' LED on the circuit board lights up. Result - lukewarm instead of hot water. Turning off the water allows the system to reset after about a minute.

BG have been out to it a number of times. It has had a new fan (no difference) and several new airflow detectors (sometimes better, sometimes worse). It has not had a new control board (well, not since this particular fault kicked in).

The airflow detector is a 1x1x2 inch thing attached to a 1/4 inch diameter tube going from somewhere 'flameside' with three wires which lead to the electronics.

The only thing that gives any kind of remission is to make sure the airflow detector tube is clear, seat the tube cleanly and firmly in the detector, and make sure the connections are sparkly and good.

Do these symptoms ring any bells with anyone? Does anyone know a permanent cure? After six good months, the cold baths are back :(

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the midas was renowned for having that many sensors on it that fault finding was a nightmare (even for their own lads )
if you think its the board then fill your boots
me id be looking at temp sensors :)

Thanks for your input kevplumb, sorry I haven't responded sooner. I think it had a new set (three?) of temp sensors.

I guess I was hoping that a bell would ring somewhere in someone's mind, and they would recognise this fault, so I could point BG's man in the right direction. You know the sort of thing "Ah yes, I saw this in 1993, it turned out that R17 on the MK2 board was underrated, use the MK3 board or later" or "those airflow sensors are rubbish, test it by ...." etc

SJB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back