Nail in electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drove a nail through a cable when resetting a floorboard. The circuit breaker worked (thank GoD) and stopped the power supply. Several sockets etc. would not work, although the kitchen light remained on. After cut out the damaged cable and rejoining it everyhing now works, but the kitchen light stays on and I the wall switch won't turn it off.
Now I can only turn it off by turning off the circuit breaker in the fuse box which runs all the downstairs lights.
What has gone wrong??

Please advise me where I've gone wrong.

Regards,

Nailboy

Posting in the wrong forum for a start ;)

I have moved it to the correct forum

Sponsored Links
You could have nailed through the switch wire for the light - how did you re-connect the wires when you repaired it?

Sounds odd, your lights and sockets should be on completely separate circuits. Have you done any work on the kitchen light?
Did you replace the entire length of damaged cable for the socket circuit?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you've refitted the kitchen light incorrectly. Is that the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back