nail through gas pipe disaster!

markthegas said:
Hmmm - streching the point a bit. I'm sure easy removable does not extend to move furniture, carpets, get a hammer and crow bar if nailed or a screwdriver to remove the board.
I'm sure they must have had the questions wrong on the ACS exams then as it asked if you could put a compression fitting under a floorboard and I answered correctly as false.

It does not say easy removable, it say a Removable Cover If you answered false then you answered wrong.

Sponsored Links
A removable cover in the building trade usually means a vertical cover with screws and cup washers.

On a floor it normally means a purpose made duct with a screwed cover.

I dont agree that any old floorboard can be considered as "removable" and particularly not when covered by laminate or fitted carpets.

Tony

My training agrees with Tony's. Under floor means solder.

doitall said:
markthegas said:
Hmmm - streching the point a bit. I'm sure easy removable does not extend to move furniture, carpets, get a hammer and crow bar if nailed or a screwdriver to remove the board.
I'm sure they must have had the questions wrong on the ACS exams then as it asked if you could put a compression fitting under a floorboard and I answered correctly as false.

It does not say easy removable, it say a Removable Cover If you answered false then you answered wrong.

Surely that means then that you can fit compression anywhere as any covering is "removable". Some would take longer than others but still removable.

Last inspection I had I had to remove a compression gas cock from below a gas hob (behind a single oven) and fit a solder one as, according to the inspector, it wasn't accessable.

Sponsored Links
Bugger....I could get to Brighton but I`m not Corgi :cry:

O dear :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Extract from BS 5482-1-2005.

8.2 Compression fittings
Compression fittings should conform to BS EN 1254-2 and should only be used where they will be readily
accessible and will allow the nut to be tightened to make a sound joint.
NOTE 1 Pipes under floor or in ducts without removable covers are not considered to be readily accessible.
Annealed olives should be used.

Well done for finding that Scruff.
Solder it is then.

Extracts from BS 6891-2005 installation of low pressure gas pipework in domestic premises.

If you screw the board down or better still form a trap in the floor it is considered to be removable, but what the heck ask the Kennel club.

7.3 Compression fittings
Compression fittings shall conform to BS EN 1254-2 or/and BS EN 1254-4 (copper) or BS EN 1254-3
(polyethylene), as appropriate, and BS 864-2, and shall only be used where they will be readily accessible
and allow the nut to be tightened to make a gas tight joint.
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 7.3
The ends of any pipe to be joined by a compression fitting should be square cut and debured. Pipes under
floor or in shafts, channels, ducts or voids without removable covers are not considered to be readily
accessible.

ChrisR said:
Well done for finding that Scruff.
Solder it is then.

You can use what you feel most comfortable with Chris, the fact is you can use compression fittings under floor boards, if the board is screwed down or you form a removable trap.

breezer said:
how do we know what your insurance company will / not pay out on?

It is accidental damage so they should pay out so long as you are covered for this, BUT watch out for the policy excess which could be more than what you will pay for the job to be done.

It would only be sensible to pay out if the householder was not being careless or reckless.

I would say hammering nails into a wooden floor without checking for pipes underneath is pretty reckless.

Tony

Sure you`re not Reckless Eric..onetime punk musician :?:

hav it said:
they should only be used in an easy accessable place full stop.

A screwed board or trap is easy accessible, ask the kennel club if you don't believe it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back