National Service RAF 1950

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember buying a "cake" each morning from the NAAFI van.
It was quite heavy to lift (!!) and was made up (I think) of pieces of stale cake and various bits of fruit etc.
Can any-one remember what it was called, I think it was just one word.

Sponsored Links
1673708573487.png

Naval chefs have a knack of making leftovers look inviting. A regular treat as 4 o'clockers between duty watches :)

Sponsored Links
I have seen a similar "cake" sold in a high street bakers. Sometimes the mixture was pressed onto to a pastry base and sometimes it was topped with sugar or shredded coconut.

I have an idea it was called "Paradise Slice" or something like that. Handy for kids or people who were hard up.

Bought a fruit pie from the Naafi on HMS Grenville, dropped it and the pastry didnt even crumble. Whacked it onto a piece of wood with a nail and presented it to the Canteen Manager as “The original Naafi fruit pie”.

the good old days eh!

Savoury Duck :)
Blimey savoury duck that's a blast from the past. The only dish with duck in the name but no duck in it. Comprising the floor sweepings from the abattoir mixed with lard. Utterly delicious. How I've never had a coronary from eating that regularly as a poor kid.

Blimey savoury duck that's a blast from the past. The only dish with duck in the name but no duck in it. Comprising the floor sweepings from the abattoir mixed with lard. Utterly delicious. How I've never had a coronary from eating that regularly as a poor kid.
I can still get it & it tastes as good as it did all those years ago.

There used to be a great butcher in Derby called Mr. Goodall. He made his own black puddings, savoury duck, pasties etc. The queue out of his shop on Ashbourne Road on a saturday morning stretched round the corner. I've never had savoury duck like it since. He died donkeys years ago.

Sponsored Links
Back