NCAP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been watching a video of my car being smashed into a deformable wall at 40mph. I am reassured that I'd live following such an event. I'd probably escape inunjured (my car's 5 star).

However, I thought they conducted these tests at 30pmh? Did they increase the speeds because of increased safety?

I watched some videos for 2 star cars, and I'm shocked they even let them off the production lines like that. Awful.

To think that in some cars, you walk away unhurt, but in others you sustain quite severe injuries, for the same set of external influences, is quite horrifying. For instance, if my car were to smash into a 1998 Nissan Micra at a combined 40mph, I'd be walking around within 10 seconds, but the Micra driver would be unable to open his door, possibly even unconscious.

I remember a test on 5th gear (the one with the fit lass presenter), where they smashed two Renault Espaces into each other, the difference between them being their age. One was a 1994 model, one was a 2006 model. The 1994 model was practically destroyed, the driver would have been killed. The 2006 model was almost repairable. The driver would have walked away. :eek:

Sobering that crash standards differ so much between the cars that are currently amongst each other on the road.

What NCAP rating is your car? Can you bear to watch the online videos of the tests for your car? ;)

Sponsored Links
a friend of mine works for the fire services and has seen his fair share of road wrecks.

he said if you are going to have a road accident have it in a Mercedes. they are bombproof.

Vikki Butler-Henderson is not fit :rolleyes:

Maxim01.jpg

I rest my case.

Sponsored Links
I have just been watching a video of my car being smashed into a deformable wall at 40mph. I am reassured that I'd live following such an event. I'd probably escape inunjured (my car's 5 star).

However, I thought they conducted these tests at 30pmh? Did they increase the speeds because of increased safety?

I watched some videos for 2 star cars, and I'm shocked they even let them off the production lines like that. Awful.

To think that in some cars, you walk away unhurt, but in others you sustain quite severe injuries, for the same set of external influences, is quite horrifying. For instance, if my car were to smash into a 1998 Nissan Micra at a combined 40mph, I'd be walking around within 10 seconds, but the Micra driver would be unable to open his door, possibly even unconscious.

I remember a test on 5th gear (the one with the fit lass presenter), where they smashed two Renault Espaces into each other, the difference between them being their age. One was a 1994 model, one was a 2006 model. The 1994 model was practically destroyed, the driver would have been killed. The 2006 model was almost repairable. The driver would have walked away. :eek:

Sobering that crash standards differ so much between the cars that are currently amongst each other on the road.

What NCAP rating is your car? Can you bear to watch the online videos of the tests for your car? ;)

im not sure why you find any of this a surprise. a ten year old car is always going to be worse off in a crash than a similar sized one that has the benefit of ten years of research into smashes.

i have never owned a car newer than 1998 and dont expect too much from them if i stack it, you takes your chances.

watching vids of any my cars being crashed is no problem, its the real thing that will be scary.

Sponsored Links
Back