Need a special screwdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My Dad's Bosch hedge trimmer was involved in an accident - he put it down while it was slowing and the blades damaged the cable.

As the damage is near to the end of the cable we figured it would be simple enough to remove the wire and shorten it. However, we need to open up the casing.

We undid 9 of the 10 "star-head" (6-pointed star, we used an allen key) screws. The last one is some kind of safety screw, or a special one that forces you to go to a Bosch service centre. It's the same star type, but with a small metal pin in the centre of the star which prevents anything other than a star driver with a hole getting into it.

Anyone know where we can get one?

Sponsored Links
tool merchant.

Sounds like a "Star pin" screw

You can buy sets of "security bit" screwdrivers that fit in an electric or ratchet driver

This set is less than a fiver
p1223842_l.jpg

A set is ideal, because we're unlikely to be fixing the hedge trimmer again, unless Dad is careless :rolleyes:

Toll merchant - that's not a shop is it? You mean, somewhere that sells many tools, right?

I mean a shop that sells tools.

There are also engineering equipment dealers that are likely to sell a very good quality one, but my illustration is from a discount DIY supplier.

There is a tool merchant in my local street market, but the tools he sells appear to be zinc castings.

Sponsored Links
Zinc castings? I guess they are inferior quality. I hate screw bits that get chewed up.....on the other hand, I hate it when they chew up the screw heads even more :evil:

I found the exact same image that you posted so I think I know where the set is from. £2.99 is good value.

ModernMaterials said:
i would Find a drill-bit small enough to take that nasty pin out and put it in my pillar drill.
That idea is so impractical for the average DIYer as to be completely barking mad.

how marvellously negative of you softus.

of course this "average diyer" whatever that means can idntify and locate torx tools for a price....

but has no chance of ever gaining access to a pillar drill.
:eek:

woof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back