Need advice on conversion/extension of stone outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a stone outhouse, and no space in the house for all our children, So I thought maybe I could convert this to an ensuite room for the oldest one. It's basically a lean-to, against the garden wall, which is the same age (150 yrs+) as the outhouse. It needs extending as it's currently too narrow. I think it will require planning consent as it's only a couple of metres from the (already extended) house. The (oil) boiler for the house is in there too, so I'll have to make a decision about getting it moved or leaving it in there. It's got electricity and plumbing as it also houses the washing mchine, drier and freezer. The main drain inspection cover for the house is about 0.5m away from the door.

I dont have the money to get the whole job done professionally, and am willing to learn the skills needed myself. But where do I start? Which bits must be done by a professional? Which bits can I learn by surfing the net for tips? And which bits do I need to attend classes before I tackle? And lastly, how do I go about planning so many different tasks! And which ones do I do/get done first?
View media item 16124 View media item 16125

Sponsored Links
IMO, its not worth the hassle.

For a start, building control will need to be involved, and it will have to meet certain standards of ventilation, damp control, insulation, heat, fire prevention/escape, building quality, electrics and plumbing. In other words it would need to be fully habitable and fit for purpose.

You may well be turned down any planning permission for a bedroom there, as it is seperate from the house. It totally goes against convention.

Moving a boiler will run well into the 1000's, and then theres finding new homes for the washer, etc.

Then theres the building itself, is it worth extending? No. Leave it as it is. Its a pretty little thing, and any alterations you make are going to be blindingly obvious. A bedroom there will not, IMO, increase the value of your house. An office perhaps would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back