need advice on coving size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just finished decorating several rooms in my home and I've decided that coving would finish them off nicely. The problem is I have never bought coving before. I live in a modern 3-storey barratt style home. Ceilings are 230cm high. Although I realise much of this is down to personal taste, what would be most suitable for such a property?

Which size coving would be most suitable? I saw 12cm coving in a similar style property but it seemed quite large to me or is it because I'm not used to seeing it in my home?!

Is it possible to use coving in every room in the house (even bathroom and kitchen?).

Would i use the same size coving in each room?

What style would suit a very modern home? Clearly anything with a pattern would not suit but what about Classic Cornice 4 on this website:

http://www.ukhomeinteriors.co.uk/content/corn_class.php

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I reckon it depends on the height of your ceiling. tall ceilings bigger cove.

i have just done my place with 90cm lafarge plaster cove, equiv to classic cornice 11.

It come in 3m lengths, so if you have any rooms longer than 3m you will need to join the lengths, i think the more complex the cove the more difficult this will be to do nicely.

Also depends on how flat your ceilings and walls are as well. if they are uneven then simple cove will be easier to sort out.

i would also think a heavy pattern in a new house might like a bit ott.

upto you at the end of the day.

That cove on that site seems a bit pricey to me.

You can cove everywhere.

Older buildings also have mixed styles of cove, very decorative for entertaining rooms, and simpler for bedrooms etc.

A

i have just done my place with 90cm lafarge plaster cove, equiv to classic cornice 11.

A

thanks for the reply and advice Adrian and funnily enough, I did order some of that cornice 11 but it was 120cm and when holding it up to the wall it looked a bit large to me as I don't have high ceilings. I emailed the seller and he told me that I couldn't get a full refund (he would deduct 20%). However, if I exchanged for a similar priced order it would only cost 10%. Not sure if this is normal policy but its the reason why I'm trying to decide on something else from their website.

Sponsored Links
Surely they must give you a refund, consumer rights and all, maybe deduction of a restocking charge.

Swallow the deduction and buy it from a local builders merchants.

i transported 3 m lengths in an astra hatch..

cheers
a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back