Need Help Urgently - Can Parawood Flloring be nailed down?

SUN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought Homebase Solid Wood Flooring, Solid Parawood, each pack contains 1 sq meter consisting of 5 planks, 1250 x 160 x 15mm.
My fitter said the best is to nail it down.
I have floor boards.

I am confused, can Parawood flooring be nailed down, it's only 15mm thick, will it not split?
The instructions ONLY talks about glue the edges..

Is Parawood solid wood floor good quality?

Sponsored Links
To nail down 15mm flooring a special shoe is fitted to the nailer.

If your fitter is doing it then let him but always follow the instructions that come with the wood - that way you will still maintain any warranty.

And no, parawood is not particularly good quality but the price may reflect this.

• Thanks
Reactions: SUN
To nail down 15mm flooring a special shoe is fitted to the nailer.

If your fitter is doing it then let him but always follow the instructions that come with the wood - that way you will still maintain any warranty.

And no, parawood is not particularly good quality but the price may reflect this.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I understand that it can be floated (as per the supplied instructions), but the boards are NOT perfectly straight, so my fitter is recommending to nail it down to avoid any gaps between the boards.
Do you see issues with nailing down a 15mm Parawood board, will it split, may be not immediately but after few months?
I understand that it's the cheapest stuff in the market but is it worth (means can it last for 20-25 years with normal wear and tear)? Or you recommend to invest that extra money and buy solid Oak?

Sponsored Links
It probably will last for 20/25 years but what it will be like I couldn't say.

Again it will probably be ok to nail (you could always try a piece first) if it doesn't split straight away it should be ok.

Personally I would always go for oak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back