Need ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I own a mid terrace 1930's house. I own a strip of land (a back lane really) that runs from the bottom of my garden left along the row of houses and comes out on the adjacent street. The lane is a security risk as it can be entered from the street and it is an eyesore. I really want to do something with it but really stuck for ideas. It is about 10 feet by 60 feet long approx. I can't really use it as a play area for the kids because it is hidden from view from the main garden. I tried to use it an allotment type thing but it does not get much sun. I was thinking of building some outbuilding or similar but it would have to be useful and multipurpose and add value to the house. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
bit confused...you're in a terrace but own a lane behind every elses houses?

From what you describe, you appear to have an access lane to a garage at the bottom of the garden. :idea: :idea: :idea: Alternatively, if the garden is long enough, you have access to a plot of land on which you could build another house - subject to planning permission of course.

Just to be on the safe side, make sure you actually own all the land. There is an old property developer's trick of keeping back a thin - and I do mean thin - strip of land so that anybody who builds behind it will have to pay them an extortionate price if they want access to their new building. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Yes that's right. When we were doing the conveyancing, the solicitor thought it was unusual at the time but checked with the land registery and confirmed it came with the house. I think it might have been a drive but too small now to fit a modern car. We don't have a drive or side access at the front of the house so that it probably why we have it and not the others. Can you really build another house on such a narrow space?

lilah said:
Can you really build another house on such a narrow space?

I once read about a 'house' in London that used to be a staircase! Seriously though, the lane would only be access to a house in what is currently your garden - so it rather depends upon how long the garden is. :) :) :)

Hello.

You may have a very valuable asset.

First you must find if any other property or company / person has a right of way, easement, or wayleave over the land. If these do exist, your development opportunity is probably zero and your liability (maintenance costs) could be an unwelcome future surprise.

Do a land registry search and be sure to include a search for rights of way, easements, and wayleaves. If the land is registered there should be a note on the register.

If there are no such entries on the register and you have a development plan (read on) you should obtain an indemnity insurance through your solicitor which will cover you if the land is developed and subsequently someone comes forward with evidence of a right of way (which would by then probably be inaccessible).

You should also do a utilities search, gas, water, electricity, sewers, telecommunications, to find if there are pipes, conduits, or other things under the land which are protected by a statute or which would impact on any development plan.

You should also confirm with the local authority that the land is a private road and that there are no plans to adopt the road. You should also do a highways search with your solicitor.

If there is nothing that would inhibit developing the land, you could consider buying part of the gardens of the properties along its length to make the site developable. If the people do not want to sell for cash they might agree to a share of the profit of any development.

Your description of the land suggests that with a slice of the gardens of each property along the lane's length, the site could be suitable for a property at each end with gardens to the rear. You should refer to your area Development Planning document to read if there is a planning policy applying to the site. You could call a planning surveyor (find Chartered Surveyors and ask for planning advice) who will give you some views. Do that before you go to speak to a planning officer (if you're thinking of it) because a planning surveyor may have experience of the appropriate process to follow to allow for best chance for permission to develop.

Before calling the planning surveyor, find out details from a map (online for example multimap or google map) the dimensions of the existing gardens and distances from the lane to the nearest points on each nearby house. Any new development must be a certain distance away from any existing houses windows and there are many other requirements. So with this info, the planning surveyor should be able to give you beter over the phone advice.

Hello.

You may have a very valuable asset.

First you must find if any other property or company / person has a right of way, easement, or wayleave over the land. If these do exist, your development opportunity is probably zero and your liability (maintenance costs) could be an unwelcome future surprise.

Do a land registry search and be sure to include a search for rights of way, easements, and wayleaves. If the land is registered there should be a note on the register.

If there are no such entries on the register and you have a development plan (read on) you should obtain an indemnity insurance through your solicitor which will cover you if the land is developed and subsequently someone comes forward with evidence of a right of way (which would by then probably be inaccessible).

You should also do a utilities search, gas, water, electricity, sewers, telecommunications, to find if there are pipes, conduits, or other things under the land which are protected by a statute or which would impact on any development plan.

You should also confirm with the local authority that the land is a private road and that there are no plans to adopt the road. You should also do a highways search with your solicitor.

If there is nothing that would inhibit developing the land, you could consider buying part of the gardens of the properties along its length to make the site developable. If the people do not want to sell for cash they might agree to a share of the profit of any development.

Your description of the land suggests that with a slice of the gardens of each property along the lane's length, the site could be suitable for a property at each end with gardens to the rear. You should refer to your area Development Planning document to read if there is a planning policy applying to the site. You could call a planning surveyor (find Chartered Surveyors and ask for planning advice) who will give you some views. Do that before you go to speak to a planning officer (if you're thinking of it) because a planning surveyor may have experience of the appropriate process to follow to allow for best chance for permission to develop.

Before calling the planning surveyor, find out details from a map (online for example multimap or google map) the dimensions of the existing gardens and distances from the lane to the nearest points on each nearby house. Any new development must be a certain distance away from any existing houses windows and there are many other requirements. So with this info, the planning surveyor should be able to give you beter over the phone advice.

A very comprehensive post stuffed with excellent advice but --

Builder2011 said:
the site could be suitable for a property at each end with gardens to the rear

I don't see how this works because, if I read the original post correctly, the lane is only open at one end. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes. It could be. The description is that the lane runs left from the end of the garden. What is there to the right of the garden, other longer garend from neighbouring property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back