Need some finishing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered my passion for woodworking, and also found that my passion far exceeds my talent and budget, so I am taking things slow and trying to do simple things that will help improve my skills.

I do a lot of research on the web, but lately I have had much luck finding the information I am looking for, and I hope this is where you all will come in :)

I have built a wooden box, with no top. I intend to one day soon add hinges and latches and some kind of velvet and make it a present for some female in my life. My problem though is the seams between the joints. The box itself is squared nicely, and I have made the joints (standard butted joints) as tight as I can, but there is still this glaring seam that irks me.

Is there some kind of finishing that I am missing that will help hide the appearance of these seams? Like sanding and staining? I am using pine wood that is probably subpar quality, but its just to learn on really.

Would using a different type of wood be better? Also one last question, Do the more expensive woods, like oak and cherry need to be "finished" with staining, varnishing and sanding?

Oh, I lied. One more question, is there a website that someone might know of that gives good detail about finishing process of woodworking?

Thanks all,
Michael Anderson

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back