Negative feeder pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a new shower and bathroom fitted. problem with the shower is that i have to lower the handset to the base of the shower tho gt water to feed through so it then can come through the overhead rain head shower,

Never had a problem with my previous shower, in fact the shower is now closer to the pump than before.

The cold water tank is in the loft higher than the pump and shower head, will this solve the problem.

I have not yet paid in full for the work done until this is sorted.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your new shower or the pipe work feeding it has put the existing system into negative head. There are several possible things that could cause your new shower to go negative head, it may have been possible for the plumber to avoid it but there is no way of telling without a lot more information. If fitting/replacing the pump was not part of the plumbing requirements for your new shower, you can’t really blame the plumber but he should have at least been aware & advised you could have a problem. IMO it would be unfair to expect him to pay for additional components/materials to get the system working again although you may be able to negotiate with him regarding the cost of his additional work.

The location of the pump to the storage tanks is critical as is the positive head on the pipe work system; when using a positive head pump, all pipe work should be run no less than 600mm below the CW storage tank. The distance of the shower from the pump far less critical so & a few feet isn’t going to make much if any difference but if you have up & over loops from the mixer to the shower head, the same 600mm rule applies; go any closer & you will potentially be negative head. Raising the CW storage tank could solve the problem but it's probably easier to fit either a new, negative head pump or a retrofit negative head sensor kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back