Neighbours main incoming fuse is in my house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have my neighbours main incoming fuse in my house, It seems that both our houses are feed by one main incoming supply cable which is then feeding 2 fuses (My Main fuse and next door fuse) and a neutral terminal block. My neighbours main tails go from the fuse and neutral block in my house, through the wall via a steel conduit into his Meter then his consumer unit. Both houses are ex-council houses.
Please can somebody answer a few questions...

1. Is this legal, regarding building regulations?
2. Im having a new kitchen fitted and want the steel conduit containing the neighbours tails removing as it is really ugly. Would I be ok to ask the neighbour to get a new supply cable fitted just for his house as I dont want his fuse and conduit in my house?.
3. Is the main supply cable large enough for both our houses these days as our houses are nearly 50 years old and the electrical demand these days are more now than 50 years ago?.
4. How much would the local electricity board charge for a new supply?.

I hope somebody can help with these questions.

Many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links

It's actually covered by the ESQCR regs, but it is perfectly legal.

2. Im having a new kitchen fitted and want the steel conduit containing the neighbours tails removing as it is really ugly. Would I be ok to ask the neighbour to get a new supply cable fitted just for his house as I dont want his fuse and conduit in my house?.

You can certainly ask

3. Is the main supply cable large enough for both our houses these days as our houses are nearly 50 years old and the electrical demand these days are more now than 50 years ago?.

Unless the cable gets hot to the touch, or is leaking tar, then it's big enough. (it may sound a crude way of checking, but thats how the DNO will determine it). Most old cables are plenty big enough for todays needs.

Only they will be able to tell you this, and probably only after a site visit too I'm afraid.

I wouldn't expect it to be more than £2000 though.

I hope somebody can help with these questions.

Try the electricity board ;)

on the upside, at least he can't keep you awake with noisy parties.

Sponsored Links
Thx people

What would happen if I was on holiday and the neighbours fuse blown? How would they get access to my house to replace fuse?

Mark

They would kick the door down mend the fuse and exit leaving the door wide open for all your local undesirables...........

JOKE - Why don't you give them a call and find out. :cool:

That would be an intersting reply.......write (or email) them......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back