Neighbour's shed too near for Cavity Wall Insulation install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After condensation issues (listed elsewhere on this site) we decided to get Cavity wall insulation from The Mark Group. However, a survey showed that our neighbour has a shed which is far too near to our wall facing their garden (the gap is about 20cm between our wall and their shed) for access to a point in our wall required for the installation.

After phoning the neighbour (who owns but rents the property) he cannot move the shed as it is in a groove in the ground and would need to be lifted up a fair amount, plus it has quite a few electrical items for the pond etc in there. Obviously I can see his point of view that it's a lot of effort to move it, but at the same time we really need the insulation to solve our damp (and therefore children's health) issues.

Questions are; Is there a minimum gap requirement for a shed to back on to a neighbour's wall and would they have to move the shed? Is there another way to get the insulation installed (through shed etc)?

Sponsored Links
I don't see that you have any right to compel your neighbour to move his shed. How big is it? The blown insulation will travel a metre or two from the drilling point.

It is also possible to drill the holes inside the house, although you will have dust and some redecoration to do after. I had this done on a wall abutting my neighbour's roof (luckily the room was due for decorating anyway).

If your neighbour is willing, it would be possible to make holes in the side of the shed to inject through, but the contractor might not like the extra work and risk of damage.

Thanks.

Neighbour is happy to have holes if needed, though obviously I will explore other options as well.

After condensation issues (listed elsewhere on this site) we decided to get Cavity wall insulation from The Mark Group.
I haven’t read your other thread & I don’t know whose advising but cavity wall insulation alone will not necessarily solve problems with condensation; lack of ventilation is usually the biggest cause along with drying washing in the house!
Obviously I can see his point of view that it's a lot of effort to move it, but at the same time we really need the insulation to solve our damp (and therefore children's health) issues.
Condensation & damp are two completely different issues & if you have the 1st one, cavity insulation could easily swap it for the 2nd . A little research on potential problems with cavity insulation will throw up many folks who’ve had problems with damp issues since having it done, some on this very Forum. Equally, there are others who’ve had no problems at all (including my neighbour) but it seems to be a bit of a gamble based on local conditions & the insulation materials used; for that reason alone, my walls will stay full of nothing but fresh air for the time being.

We have efficient central heating & double glazing, our internal walls are not cold (a major cause of condensation), our fuel bills are economical & we have absolutely no problems with condensation at all. But we also have good forced & natural ventilation (window open at night regardless), open the window for a while after showering (in spite of the fan) & never dry washing in the house.
Questions are; Is there a minimum gap requirement for a shed to back on to a neighbour's wall
As long as it doesn’t touch it, no.
and would they have to move the shed?
Unless there is a very specific covenant no; why should there be, it’s on their land!
Neighbour is happy to have holes if needed, though obviously I will explore other options as well.
I think that’s entirely reasonable of him; I would also want you to repair the holes in my shed.

Sponsored Links
I have been interested to read the posts regarding the desirability of cavity wall insulation. Personnaly I consider it a poorly thought out practice by the climate change lobby. The whole idea of a cavity is to prevent the passage of damp, and the air in the cavity is a good insulater. Cavity wall insulation was installed in my bungalow before I bought and if it was possible to remove it i would have it out. All my outside walls are cold to touch yet in the loft where there is no insulation they are warm. If anyone knows how to remove injected foam I would be interested.

Condensation & damp are two completely different issues & if you have the 1st one, cavity insulation could easily swap it for the 2nd . A little research on potential problems with cavity insulation will throw up many folks who’ve had problems with damp issues since having it done, some on this very Forum.

We have efficient central heating & double glazing, our internal walls are not cold (a major cause of condensation),

The walls are cold and we can see the pattern of the brickwork through the wall due to the damp. A builder friend of ours recommended the CWI to us as a possible remedy.

Our loft already gets a lot of condensation too and I know the insulation can make this worse so I need to keep an eye on this (we've already had those fish eye style filters fitted and kept the eves clear (the builders managed to leave a huge pile of twigs that the birds left covering the gaps in the eves, well done them).

I think that’s entirely reasonable of him; I would also want you to repair the holes in my shed.

Agreed, it wasn't really a despute about it, I was just worried about how we would get it done, but it seems they can inject from the side as well so they can get around the shed issue. I wanted to solve it without having to drill holes in his shed really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back