New bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just planning a new bathroom and one thing that that becomes obvious is the number of materials baths are constructed from. The plan is to fit a wide (800mm) bath and have an overhead shower (from the combi).

What is a reasonable material in terms of wear, strength, stain-resistance, etc.. to choose. I have seen cast iron (don't really want this), acrylic, fibre glass and plastic (or is this the same as acrylic?).

Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Acrylic, plastic all the same. most baths will give you many years service if fitted correctly, as for cleaning well there are so many bath cleaning products on the market these days you should be having no problem. The only problem you mainly get on baths is the sylicone tarnishing so try and use a mould resistant type.

I've had 'em all and prefer acrylic. Don't allow any scouring powders in the house, whatever kind of bath you get. liquid cleaner and a sponge will keep them clean and leave the surface shiny.

JohnD said:
I've had 'em all and prefer acrylic. Don't allow any scouring powders in the house, whatever kind of bath you get. liquid cleaner and a sponge will keep them clean and leave the surface shiny.
What even galvanised tin hanging on the wall :?: I have :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. BTW we used to have a tin bath which was used in front of the fire in winter and out back in the summer! The water had to be heated on the fire no matter what the season - after, of course, it was drwn from the well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back