New Baxi boiler - constantly heating water even when off?

TRV's I am assuming these are the temp valves on each rad - in which case I don't have ANY of these - just flow valves (they're 23 years old).

Yep, green light on boiler stays on

The other wire not connected to anything is brown (NB this is the wiring scheme that was installed when house was built if that makes any difference - not the new colour scheme)

Sponsored Links
Blue wire (red taped) needs to be removed. This may stop the pump running, so boiler will not fire, if so rewire pump correcttly. If not terminate safely. Care needed 230V.

Thanks Baxpoti.

Removed wire and correct, pump did not run, although green light on boiler was still lit (I did turn the power off to remove & isolate wire!).

In terms of rewiring pump - is this straightforward? And how would I do this?

Once you have sorted out the other problem(s) you can connect the blue wire, to what should be, the switched live to the boiler (at present permanently live).

Sponsored Links
Ok, you've been a great help. If I could just confirm a bit further - my old boiler had a pump overrun which is wired into the programmer upstairs, hence 2 cables running from the programmer to the boiler.

The overrun on this boiler is optional? ie can it not be used at all and therefore effectively eliminate one of the cables and only connect the switched live? IE it should not have a permanent live at all?

Check your wiring as to page 14 of the M.I. If pump overrun is stand alone unit, wire it in.

When a new boiler is fitted you should have TRVs fitted to the rads except the rad in the room where the room stat is fitted.

It seems that they have done a pretty ropey job.

CORGI send you a certificate a few weeks after being notified by the installer. Many installers dont ! You can complain to CORGI about that!

Tony

Thanks for the help baxpoti.

I've played around with the wiring to no avail. I've tried to replicate the manual, but doesn't seem to work :confused: Have tried to wire boiler into orange wire of valve as per diagram but can't get any joy! So, time to get someone a bit more knowledgeable to have a look!!

Thanks again though for the help.

Best wishes

Thanks Agile,

I was intending at some point to replace the rads, hence no TRV's. I will be getting them back out to sort it out though, but am gonna have to wait until I can get some more time off work.

Last time I'll be using that company!!

Sounds like you have connected the old permanent live to the apollo to the live on the Baxi, instead of the switched live.

Solo HE only needs switched live. one of its selling points.

Thanks Dave,

I've just worked through this on paper - think I have worked out which is switched live at junction box - so can then disconnect this and then on the boiler also disconnect from the sw live point and put the (currently) connected to P/F overrun point to the switched live on the boiler.

Bit late and dark now to be messing with the wiring - will look at in the morning and let you know.

Hopefully this will be the fix - cheers ;)

Ladies and Gents,

Well, thanks to this forum and particularly to those who have contributed to this thread and provided invaluable info -

IT WORKS!!! :LOL:

I have now 'rewired' in part the system to completely remove the overrun cabling/connections, and the system is now correctly (for the house setup ie no TRV's) functioning (certainly as far as I can tell at this moment in time). Timer control, water and room thermostats appear to be cutting system off as they should.

so THANK YOU for your prompt and v helpful replies.

I will be having a discussion with the company owner on monday - I guess I'll have to pay then as well... :(

Cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back