new belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apart from with difficulty, and a spare hour :) also a few choice words ,not for printing./ do you get a belt onto the newer hotpoint washing machines, that do not have an adjustable motor ?
me thinks there is a special tool that you engineers have, like a shoe horn type thing that leevers the belt over the motor shaft. :confused:
am i right or just barking . :) thankfully within my family ive only been asked do do it twice [ had enough with the carbon brushes in an earllier post :) ] cant rest now till i know.
regards.r.r.

Sponsored Links
Redrunner, there must be some sort of belt tensioning device. If the motor can't be adjusted (but I don't see why not), have a look around the belt path for a "back bend idler" pulley. This will be adjustable, so release its bolt(s), fit belt and retension. Tighten pulley bolts. Job done.

no mate there was no adjustment anywhere/ the motor was at bottom of machine slightly to the left [ back veiw and slotted into holes in the precast casing , and then the fixing bolts went straight through that into the motor to be done up.
the belt then had to be got onto the main tub pulley and onto the motor shaft. and thats where the problem starts. :( .
ive done the ones that have a bolt to slacken on the motor and then tension after belt is on . also i know of the other one you mean where the belt goes through a pulley type tensioner [ mostly on tumble dryers ] but the 2 i came across had no way .
unfortunatly i havent got the model no at hand but wll try and find out what it was .regards .r.r. :)

i no longer work for hp, but try this

put belt onto motor shaft

put onto much of pulley as you can

turn pulley

it should pull the belt on

Sponsored Links
cheers breezer. yep thats how i got it on in the end , but it did take 2 of us/ 1 to guide belt on with 1 hand and the other hand to keep it on, while i turned the drum from the front on inside [more leaverage ]

mind you even that wasnt easy , thats why i was intrested in how the experts do it on a daily basis on there todd. ?
regards.r.r. :)

Belt over the motor, onto the pulley, cable tie, rotate the pulley, cut the cable tie. No cut fingers or hands.

yes tiredengineer./ you cracked it / of coarse no special tool , just a simple cable tie . :) no cut ,grazed hands .no naughty words, job done. :D
and just the thing where one says to there self WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT ./ :) thanks and a merry xmas /new year to you . :) regards.r.r.

On most new machines you can't adjust the motor position to tension the belt. The belts are "stretch" type and they can be a little difficult to put on when new.
Once they've stretched and become slack they can cause "no spin" problems, a particular problem on some Servis machines.
Getting the washing machine ones on are easy, just wait till you try the tumble dryer ones, no tensioning pulleys, just motor and drum.

thanks again tiredengineer/ if you say the w.machine belt can be a little difficult./ :) i just hope no one in my family gets the tumble drier that has no belt adjustment. :( . why couldnt the makers just leave well alone ,as with the motor adjustmentas most did have regards. r.r.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back