new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys, BG have been to quote for a new boiler, and its left me with questions . . .

1. Is microbore pipe (8mm) a bad thing (we have this, installed about 18 years ago)?
2. Boilers without pilot lights - do they click to ignite whenever theres demand?
3. Are Worcester Bosch boilers available with digital wireless stats instead of the mechanical one BG want us to have?
4. Whats the opinion of putting a boiler in the loft? If all the microbore has to go, we might as well move the boiler from its current location in the kitchen.
5. Will the 15mm gaz pipe need upgrading? I have read 28mm being mentioned :eek: Our old worcester electronic 2.4 has a 15mm gas pipe, and the new boiler wont be any more powerful. The length from the meter is about 11-12 metres, about the same to the loft, but upwards!
6. Should we have plastic pipework put in?

Sponsored Links
s microbore pipe (8mm) a bad thing (we have this, installed about 18 years ago)?

Likely to be sludge inside and you should change after 18 yrs. 15 mm will heat up quicker and would be my choice.
Boilers without pilot lights - do they click to ignite whenever theres demand?

Presume so

Whats the opinion of putting a boiler in the loft? If all the microbore has to go, we might as well move the boiler from its current location in the kitchen.

I put mine in the loft to free up space in the kitchen. You have to board it out and fit lighting, guard rail etc.

Will the 15mm gaz pipe need upgrading?

Definitely.

Should we have plastic pipework put in?

Your choice. :D

Will the 15mm gaz pipe need upgrading?

Definitely.
Why though? Why was 15mm acceptable 18 years ago, but not today? What is the difference that requires bigger pipe on new boilers?

I think I could manage to board out the loft and fit a HF fluorescent light and loft ladder.

What is the difference that requires bigger pipe on new boilers?

Its to do with gas rates and safety.

One of the Gasmen will tell you more than me though......................

Sponsored Links
OK i understand that now. Thanks. :cool:

Another question, why do BG quote for an electrician to upgrade the main bonding, when it is already in place, and they could see its already in place! The guy who did the quote said if the electrician arrives and finds the MEB is already in place, the £130 cost will be deducted. This is a DIY job anyway, but this option wasn't mentioned to us. We are going to get more quotes. :LOL:

You should be able to read up on earth bonding and see for yourself if its there.

A 10 mm earth on the gas pipe at the meter is a good start.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back