New Career as an Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I currently work as an Electronics Engineer, but I want to move into new career as an Electrician. I will be starting a PART P next week, which will last roughly 13 weeks. Could someone please advice on What is the next step for after Part P? I don't know much about Electrical Installation? Will anyone employ me with Part P, I am willing to work Weekend because I currently do not work weekends.

I will be very grateful if I could have any advice.

Thank you very much in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
Your course instructors will no doubt advise you your next step, so I shouldn't worry too unduly now.
Also, talking to others on the same course can also be another source of advice.

Thank you luminaire. Can you advice on what is the best way of getting some practical Experience?

Sponsored Links
Newby1 said:
...I will be starting a PART P next week, which will last roughly 13 weeks... What is the next step for after Part P?... I don't know much about Electrical Installation? Will anyone employ me with Part P...
Not sure if this isn't a wind-up.

There is no such thing as a 'Part P Course'. Part P is a single sentence in the Building Regulations.

There are, however, courses which give those who already work with domestic electrical installations a basic qualification to allow them to comply with the government's requirements for membership to a competent persons scheme. They then have to pass an on site assessment. This is so they can carry on trading without needing to call in an electrician, or having to notify building control for every job, .

But, if it is employment you are after I strongly suspect the course you are taking will be a complete waste of time. Even traditional City & Guilds qualified students find it very hard to gain direct employment. And if it is being marketed as a 'Part P Course' then I would be very suspicious of an organisation using incorrect terminology from the outset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back