New cellar

S

sparkyspike

I can't decide whether the following jobs are notifiable.

Purpose built cellar built in the kitchen floor

Purpose built cellar in an attached garage

Purpose built cellar in a detached garage

Purpose built cellar in a dining room

The electrical work involved is simply a spur from a lighting circuit or ring main feeding lighting in the new cellar. So they will all at the very least warrant a minor works certificate. But would any of these works be notifiable to LABC?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest the safest thing is to call the LABC and ask them. Mine are very helpful.

My personal opinion:

Purpose built cellar built in the kitchen floor - its a separate room to the kitchen, so not notifiable

Purpose built cellar in an attached garage - not notifiable

Purpose built cellar in a detached garage - notifiable

Purpose built cellar in a dining room - not notifiable

I am assuming you mean a cellar under each of these locations, not "in"?

Of course I'm 99% sure digging the celler is notifiable though

Sponsored Links
Fortunately I'm not digging the cellar! I am inclined to agree that the cellar will not technically be in any of these rooms, although the access hatch will be.

I was thinking only of the electrical issues. Never dug a hole big enough to be called a cellar so couldnt comment.

Mind you, I did make some big 'uns on Gorleston beach when i was a kid - bet they are still there too!

You will definitely need building regulation approval and possibly planning permission to dig a cellar, so you will have to involve the LABC wherever you dig, regardless of the wiring.

You will also need an architect to design the excavation so that your house (and that of your neighbours) doesn't collapse as you dig. I believe there are some quite stringent fire regulations too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back