New central heating timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I've got a british gas model UP1 central heating and hot water timer. The system is not on a combi boiler - there's a boiler and cold water tank in the attic and a hot water cylinder in the downstairs airing cupboard where the timer is located.

Being a big fan of all things screwfix I want to replace it with:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...TWE12QCSTHZOCFFQ?cId=102632&ts=23818&id=63760

Will this slot over the old backplate or fittings and take the same cabling? It says on some of the boxes that there are industry standards?

Any other comments? Is this a good unit?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
its as good as anything

but I dont know what a BG UP1 is (well its the standard for commercial tightness testing and purging but dont think that helps here ;) )

can you take a pic of it for us maybe?

then someone should be able to tell you whether its a straightforward swap over or not

Search the web. Danfoss or BG may have tables of compatability on their website. I know some suppliers do.

Sponsored Links
I know you guys hate this but I haven't changed the part in the last 2 years but with prices as they are I fancy doing it this weekend if it'll reduce my hotwater cost in the week :) The box design is identical not to danfoss but the drayton gear. In fact it looks like a rebranded drayton from the screwfix pics. So now I'm thinking

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26078...r;jsessionid=CPI1GIKWPBGRWCSTHZOCFFA?ts=87135

The buttons and design are the same. Mine has 1 wire going in - all good?

Honestly, you're not going to get anything from me posting a pic, its a drayton but with square buttons and BG written on and only one program for every day of the week :)

Cheers!

:D

It's a lot of fannying around over £50. Don't rush into anything.

The best Prog on the market at the mom is the Honeywell ST9400C. Can use the universal backplate.

If the BG backplate is different, just change it. :idea:

try removing the prog from wall (power off first) and have a look at the back of it, there may be a jumper you can move to set different progs for days/week ends etc.

IIRC the BG programmers are rebadged Drayton. I have one lying around somewhere. They have a digital and a mecahnical version.

Again IIRC the "1" suffix means single channel timer as used on a Combi, and the "2" suffix means a programmer with Heating channel and HW channel.

How about you post a photo of your old one? //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

JohnD, sounds like you know the one - its the digital version. Have ordered a Drayton and will hopefully get it tomorrow - hopefully a moderately simple swap :)

try removing the prog from wall (power off first) and have a look at the back of it, there may be a jumper you can move to set different progs for days/week ends etc.

:eek: That's it! Cheers :) now lets see how much joy I have giving the new one back to screwfix.

Cheers fellas

Now to replace the thermostat... :d

Haha it works :) Excellent howto in the Screwfix review...

Small neat cheap Stat
23 Apr 2009
By philskill
(read all my reviews)(read all my reviews)
, Oxfordshire
"Decided to change my Honeywell Mechanical thermostat as i thought it was starting to get too hot and too cold before switching.
The Horstmann has 3 terminals COM, NC and NO. The old mechnical stat has 3 wires and an earth. For those in the same position you connect the live (Red) to COM, and the Switched Live (Yellow) to "NO" (Normally Open) and the Neutral (Blue) needs to be left unconnected and terminated safely in a small connector block (Not included) or diconnected at the boiler end. The earth needs to be terminated unconnected too.
The Neutral was used to power a Heating resistor in the mechanical stat to reduce the hot/cold hysteresis and on inspection mine had blown causing the room to get too hot before switching off.
New stat works well and fairly easy to setup, although not sure the wife will be able to mess with it (maybe a good thing!)
Has an OFF mode by holding both up and down together and has a temperature override by hold up or down individually.
This unit allows for 4 programs during the day to have warm in morning, cool in day, warm in evening, cool at night. but only 2 programs for Sat and Sun warm all day and cool at night. When using this with a Normal time controller this is more than adequate.
Quite a neat small unit if not the best looking and feels just a little cheap, but definitely a recommended unit for the cheap end of the market."
10 of 10 people found this review helpful.

2 years is about average for me, well chuffed with it can't wait till it gets cold enough to trigger. :)

haha look again the thread is actually 4 years old :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back